FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: That sounds like an airplane... with no wings!

My VIN:    10207

Question That sounds like an airplane... with no wings!

So I finally got the blower motor to turn over without a very loud *clunk* on every revolution, by replacing it, and got the squirrel cage to stop squealing on every revolution, by replacing it. But the damn thing kept giving me a very high pitched whine, which got exponentially worse the higher speed it ran at.

So I got in there again, for gods know what time, and ground flat part of the rim down to circular form, so it wouldn't interfere with the squirrel cage (blower motor fan) going round.

fullsizeoutput_3c4.jpg

fullsizeoutput_3c5.jpg

That fixed it! Now it "just" sounds like an electric engine running at full tilt. No *clunk*, *thud* or squealing...

...but there's very little air coming through the vents... As I understand it, the flaps inside the dash that controls the airflow are vacuum actuated. Are they all defaulting to closed? So that no air passes if the vacuum system is defective?

I'm stoked that I got a (mostly) soundless blower engine/fan now, but I'd like it to actually move some air as well.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by DrWin; 09-03-2020 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

What replacement fan did you use - are you sure it is rotating the correct direction?
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    What replacement fan did you use - are you sure it is rotating the correct direction?
    https://www.deloreango.com/dk/blower-fan-motor.html
    https://www.deloreango.com/dk/blower...otor-cage.html

Got these two stuck on there. So I suppose that they're not the problem... (?)
    Last edited by DrWin; 09-03-2020 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.

Also, came to think about it, as it says on the deloreango instructions I did check for rotational direaction before mounting it. "Metal heater / blower fan cage / wheel. Just make sure your motor is spinning the correct way, as the motors work wired up either way (but in different directions!) - swap the + and - wires if need be. This cage, just like the original, should spin anti-clockwise / counter-clockwise when looking from above with the wheel at the top."

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    ...but there's very little air coming through the vents... As I understand it, the flaps inside the dash that controls the airflow are vacuum actuated. Are they all defaulting to closed? So that no air passes if the vacuum system is defective?

I'm stoked that I got a (mostly) soundless blower engine/fan now, but I'd like it to actually move some air as well.

Any suggestions?
    Check out N:08:15, 16 in the Workshop Manual for flap behavior and proper hose connections.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Check out N:08:15, 16 in the Workshop Manual for flap behavior and proper hose connections.
    That's propably a very good idea.