FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Oil filler assembly fit - tight or loose?

My VIN:    10207

Question Oil filler assembly fit - tight or loose?

So, going around the engine bay and looking for defective things to change I came across the "Oil filler Assembly O Ring" no. 102416 - I changed it out, but the oil filler assembly still comes out about 10mm. Is it supposed to have that much wiggle space or is it supposed to fit tightly?

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg
    Last edited by DrWin; 09-03-2020 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Triple posted pictures
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

My VIN:    03500

It should fit snugly. If it is plugged up with sludge internal engine pressure would force it loose.

Dave B.

My VIN:    6472

Mine stays loose also. I was planning on replacing the o-ring as well, thinking it would fix it. But I guess it doesn't?
    Last edited by Gregadeth; 09-03-2020 at 05:40 PM.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Replaced the o-ring on mine 2yrs ago. It fit much better after that. The original was oval in cross section. It was also showing surface cracks and was hard.

The cap with a new NOS-size o-ring on it still sits a tad high when it's pushed onto the valve cover collar? Try rotating the two black rubber hoses on the assembly one way or the other to put more downforce on the cap when it's seated correctly. Hard to tell you which way to twist the hoses so try twisting the both each way at the cap nipple and see what you get.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

$.02
    Almost every one I've seen with an OEM o-ring, new or not, takes firm pressure to push it in, but move up and down after pressed in fully. (It's like the collars have swollen below the flange over time or ???) Anyway, if it is loose, you will have a vacuum leak because the crankcase is under vacuum (not pressure). I always wind up digging one out of old transmission kits or taking the D to NAPA (and forgetting to get the part number).

My VIN:    10207

Thanks a lot

Ok, so I guess I can fiddle around with the tubes to put down force on it, see if I can find a retaining clip for it or look for a slightly larger O-ring to get it to stick tight... (?)

Back to the drawing board.
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    Ok, so I guess I can fiddle around with the tubes to put down force on it, see if I can find a retaining clip for it or look for a slightly larger O-ring to get it to stick tight... (?)

Back to the drawing board.
    Yes, I would find a slightly larger o-ring. It should fit snug.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)