FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any specific Tools needed?

Any specific Tools needed?

I was wondering if there was any specific tools that I would need for my Delorean?

I have a 1982 5 speed.

I understand I need the oil plug tool but anything else?

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by JSzabo View Post
    I was wondering if there was any specific tools that I would need for my Delorean?

I have a 1982 5 speed.

I understand I need the oil plug tool but anything else?
    Yeah. Metric socket set and wrenches, and definitely some wobble extensions. Screwdrivers in pretty much every damn size. Metric hex drivers. Maybe a spark plug socket.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Nothing unique/specific to the Delorean that wouldn't be used on any other vehicle.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

I didn’t believe anything else but normal tools. Just was asking because I was going to make an order from Delorean Midwest.

Thanks everyone.

My VIN:    3937

Bungee cords. You can use them in a variety of ways like holding the door closed while you're sitting in it with your feet outside working on things inside the door.
    Good lighting, portable types with clamps or magnets to stick them in places you need to see what you're doing.
    A bunch of different shapes and sizes of Metric wrenches, duplicates too as you'll find you need to wiggle yourself and your wrenches into tight places with bad leverage to loosen up some bolt that hasn't moved in 39 years.
    A couple different sizes (widths) or 3M double sided tape.
    3M weather striping adhesive (black in colour).
    DMC binder set including the workshop manual, parts manual and technical bulletins manual. And the owner's manual as well as PJ Grady's glovebox breakdown survival pamphlet.
    Heat gun for removing certain trim pieces or weather striping without ruining it.
    A Dremel or similar cutting tool
    Your favorite anti-seize/penetrant oil (PB Blaster or the one from Krown are good)
    A good wire cutter/crimping tool. Don't get a cheap one here.
    A rivet gun and a rivnut tool if you feel like splurging.
    A multimeter and some knowledge on how to use it.
    Interior trim piece /fir tree removal tool (you can get these anywhere or from DMC if you like)

Other things will depend on what you need to work on like a steering wheel puller tool or whatever tool/contraption is needed to replace a crankshaft nut and pulley.

Oh, and a great big swear jar that you can relabel your kid's college fund. It'll be full in about two weeks.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

All depends on how "deep" you want to go and your skill level. To take the motor apart requires some special tools, same for the automatic or manual transmission. The door torsion bars require some special tools to adjust. To test the fuel system requires a fuel pressure gauge with the correct hoses and fittings. You can send the injectors out to be tested and cleaned. To grain the body panels you can do it by hand or you can get a machine if you want to do it faster. Some tools you can rent or get on loan. Some local clubs will do torsion bar adjustments for free for members so you don't have to buy those tools.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5999

At some point, you're going to need a Dremel tool. Trust me on this.

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

get the colored wire diagram and a set of workshop manuals and a GOOD torque wrench.

most other special tools you can rent.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    At some point, you're going to need a Dremel tool. Trust me on this.

=====

Check out: http://dmctalk.org-Toolbox-Essentials

Thanks everyone. I'm looking into getting more tools, I'm not a mechanic but I can do some more advanced mechanical automotive and Motorcycle work.

I've got a well-filled cuss jar from my motorcycles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast