FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Front License Plate Options

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Front License Plate Options

I need to install a front license plate on my DeLorean - state requirement. From what I can figure I have at least three options and just wondering, from experience, which one actually works "best".

Option 1 - Original factory "T" bracket (which I have)

Option 2 - The DMCH Improved Stainless Steel bracket

Option 3 - The Special T Auto Stainless Steel bracket

Option 4 - ????

I was going to just install the original factory T bracket but to me seems a little flimsy. Plus I would like to have the back of the plate supported to avoid bending or curling. Thoughts?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Notifier View Post
    I need to install a front license plate on my DeLorean - state requirement. From what I can figure I have at least three options and just wondering, from experience, which one actually works "best".

Option 1 - Original factory "T" bracket (which I have)

Option 2 - The DMCH Improved Stainless Steel bracket

Option 3 - The Special T Auto Stainless Steel bracket

Option 4 - ????

I was going to just install the original factory T bracket but to me seems a little flimsy. Plus I would like to have the back of the plate supported to avoid bending or curling. Thoughts?
    Option 5 - avoid the front plate.

After 8 months I still have yet to have any trouble though I'm required to have it.

OR

drag it on the ground and say it keeps falling off.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The original bracket is fine if you already have holes in the fascia. If you don't it's really a shame to start now.

The aftermarket SS brackets are the same design (no holes, they use the screen bolts) but you'll find that the DMCH version is much heavier stainless sheet and holds the plate more steady, which tends to avoid scratching the fascia.

Overall it depends on your state, some (like mine) tend to look the other way on exotic cars as long as you don't park in Chicago, others (like CA/OH) tend to act like you are a runaway ax-murderer without a front plate.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Delorean Performance Industries also offers a version available here in our online store under the original stainless section.

https://www.deloreanindustries.com/s...ess-steel.html

Currently $44.95 and the most rigid on the market.

And yes running in Ohio without a front plate does give you axe murderer status. It is the number one probable cause reason for law enforcement to pull you over here.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Option 5 - avoid the front plate.
    I did think about that option... I border two states that don't require front plates (DE & PA) and it's not uncommon to see a vehicle without a front plate around here. But then again, I'm not driving a non-descript Toyota Camry either, my DeLorean will get noticed! Plus I do have like 5 cops that live in my neighborhood and although I don't think they will cause trouble, they would notice I wasn't running a front plate. I was actually thinking of not putting one on and just having it in the car and if I did get stopped I would just say "Yea I know, I had to order a custom bracket for it and it hasn't come in yet" and hope I would just get a warning.

Actually I was wondering if anyone had a picture of any of the stainless aftermarket brackets installed?
    Last edited by Notifier; 10-04-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Delorean Performance Industries also offers a version available here in our online store under the original stainless section.
    Thanks Josh, I'll add it to my list!

My VIN:    6125

Front license plates are the devil. I refuse to put one on the D no matter what. I've been driving without one for 3 years with no problem in WI.

I don't have one on my 87 IROC either. About 7 years ago my dad was driving it and got pulled over because a cop tried to laser him to get a speed reading and had nothing to reflect the beam off of. He got a fix-it ticket so I put a front plate on and had it inspected, and afterward took it right back off. No problems since, and there was no fine for the fix it ticket.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I probably shouldn't point this out, but not only have I driven for 6 months without a front plate, I've also been driving around on Hawaii plates - I don't live in Hawaii but the car used to. Granted the plates haven't expired. I just haven't registerd it yet because it wan't pass emissions.

I even drove for two days with a prop "OUTATIME" plate after a car show.

I have heard from a few sources that police typically let exotics slide but I wouldn't hang my legal defense on it.

Once I get registered, I plan on carrying the plate in the car and if I get stopped and warned, tell the officer that I have ordered a bracket and will fix it as soon as possible.

The alternative in my state is the "classic car" plates though those limit you to driving only for trips to events, etc.
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    3695

Club(s):   (DCN)

I know somebody who designed a folding mechanism to hide the front plate from inside of the car. I've got a video of it somewhere but i don't have his permission to post it (him numberplate is clearly readable).

I have a Torque Wrench... tyb323's Avatar

My VIN:    2399

I have a prop outatime plate on the front of my car. I live in MD (college), car is registered in Virginia. Haven't had my front plate in MD for the past 4 years, never had any trouble
    Tyler Butler
    Vin 2399 - July 81 Black Interior, Automatic

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast