FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Front License Plate Options

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I got a speeding ticket the other day; 126 in a 65 zone... and the State Patrol officer saw fit to lecture me on the fact that my car didn't have a front plate. I replied that there was no way that I would be drilling holes in my car to mount the plate and that, due to the grandfather clause, I wasn't modifying a classic collector car by drilling or altering the car to mount a front license plate when one wasn't standard equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    ...thats it.
    Tell us how you really feel.

Post manual and automatic retracting license plate

I am wondering if these will fit the front of our cars...

http://www.jegs.com/p/Altec-Products...38358/10002/-1

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    I am wondering if these will fit the front of our cars...
    Might take some doing as the bottom of the spoiler is not flat like the car shown. You'd have to add some brackets and spacers. If you mount it above the grille (like OEM) you'll have to drill other holes in the fascia, and it's not particularly well-braced there either. Can you "borrow" one from work to try it out?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

I've devised a better use for my other plate that won't be posted publicly; needless to say, I think it better serves my intent.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Like Nick, I use to just keep my front plate in the car as a just in case. I got stopped a few times for having a heavy right foot and only once asked about not having a front plate. He was nice about it and only put me in the system as a warning and said if I get stopped again for not having one they would issue me the $117 fine. Here in Ohio there are only two rules for front plate. 1. It has to be visible from the front of the car and 2. affixed so that it does not flap in the wind. So legally you can just put it on your dash and all is well. I did that for a bit but personally thought it was dumb. So I cut and wedged it under the rock screen and attached two small bars (old erector set pieces) from the bottom of the plate to the bottom of the stock air dam. I tell people it actually increases HP by scooping up the air into the radiator and help speed cooling :-)

Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Might take some doing as the bottom of the spoiler is not flat like the car shown. You'd have to add some brackets and spacers. If you mount it above the grille (like OEM) you'll have to drill other holes in the fascia, and it's not particularly well-braced there either. Can you "borrow" one from work to try it out?
    Dave,

I just test-fit one out front during lunch. the bracket sticks out too far...it wouldn't look good in my opinion, plus you would have to put holes under the bumper section....
    worth a try anyway...

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

I find it funny that everyone has vanity plates and no one wants to display the other one on the front of the car.

Regardless I"m throwing our front stainless brackets on sale for the next week.

$29.95 regularly 44.95
    https://www.deloreanindustries.com/s...ess-steel.html
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    Like Nick, I use to just keep my front plate in the car as a just in case. I got stopped a few times for having a heavy right foot and only once asked about not having a front plate. He was nice about it and only put me in the system as a warning and said if I get stopped again for not having one they would issue me the $117 fine. Here in Ohio there are only two rules for front plate. 1. It has to be visible from the front of the car and 2. affixed so that it does not flap in the wind. So legally you can just put it on your dash and all is well. I did that for a bit but personally thought it was dumb. So I cut and wedged it under the rock screen and attached two small bars (old erector set pieces) from the bottom of the plate to the bottom of the stock air dam. I tell people it actually increases HP by scooping up the air into the radiator and help speed cooling :-)

Minnesota is know ( at least localy ) as the state where everything is against the law. One exception is cars with collector or classic plates don't need a front plate. In fact if you can find a plate for the year of manufactuer for your car you can have it registered for your car. On the other side of the coin, I had my Crossfire parked in downtown Minneapolis on a Sunday morning. The street signs said meters not inforced on Sundays. When I returned to the car I had a ticket for $130 because I had a plastic cover on the front plate and the rear bracket covered part of the annual tabs at the bottom of the plate. City and state deficits have fallen on the backs of meter maids and the highway patrol and I'd guess that's true in every state so be careful.

Bruce Benson

Banned

do you want some license plate bracket i know some that are cheap, i can give you good suggestion just pm me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast