FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Mixture base setting

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    YW!

An aside-
    Speaking of phones, the firefighter instructor in me was having nightmares over this, so I PMed you my phone#...But you didn't call?? Thenn, my password quit working on Today. Once I found the recovery page (it is not on all pages asking for a password, as posted BTW;-), I could not figure out the random question (which is always the same BTW ;-). What "has whiskers, a tail, and shits in a box for..."?
    I tried:
    cat
    a cat
    Cat
    A cat.
    meow
    Meow
    pussy

I was beginning to wonder if you still love me...
    I thought you were wanting to personally scream at me for a rules violation.
    Send me your user name via PM and I will hook you up.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I thought you were wanting to personally scream at me for a rules violation.
    Send me your user name via PM and I will hook you up.

Now what would make you think that?
    You do know how to prevent it??

=======

No (I PMed you before all that). I wouldn't do that anyway -- Rich would kick my ass.

PM sent. THX.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I don't like using glass bottles, too easy to break. Plastic bottles. You should pull all of the injectors, the one you pull may be clogged or leak at a very low pressure so your adjustment is going to be way off. If you are working on a non-runner the injectors all probably need to be cleaned anyway. If it is way too rich make sure the plunger is not stuck before you start turning the mixture screw. Typically that mixture screw only needs to be turned LESS THAN A 1/4 TURN, usually less than that, that is how sensitive that adjustment is. Never try to "adjust " a problem away. All problems, vacuum leaks, dirty injectors, worn spark plugs, valve adjustments, etc must be done BEFORE you turn that mixture screw.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Trying not to step on any toes here...

The OP wants to work on a non runner that has a lot of work to it. It is more possible that the adjusting screw has been previously turned way too far rich or that any FD is defective. In either case, following this procedure is prone to spraying fuel into the engine compartment, or worse, your eye.
    Anyway, his stated goal is to get it close. That procedure will work. But pulling one injector, making it weep and then barely backing it off is the way to get it the closest. It's faster and a lot safer.

With any unknown, you're expected to first turn the mixture screw counterclockwise a few turns first so that it wouldn't spray all over the place. Then jump the fuel pump and then adjust the mixture screw clockwise slowly just until is begins to leak, then go counterclockwise 1/2 turn from there. No one in their right mind should ever pull a line off the distributor on an unknown car and trust in blind faith that it wasn't set to rich.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I don't like using glass bottles, too easy to break. Plastic bottles. You should pull all of the injectors, the one you pull may be clogged or leak at a very low pressure so your adjustment is going to be way off. If you are working on a non-runner the injectors all probably need to be cleaned anyway. If it is way too rich make sure the plunger is not stuck before you start turning the mixture screw. Typically that mixture screw only needs to be turned LESS THAN A 1/4 TURN, usually less than that, that is how sensitive that adjustment is. Never try to "adjust " a problem away. All problems, vacuum leaks, dirty injectors, worn spark plugs, valve adjustments, etc must be done BEFORE you turn that mixture screw.
    +1

...that is why I just turn the screw 1/2 turn CCW to begin with.

"Sensitive", yes! -- When setting the CO, sometimes it takes me several tries to get it right where I want it.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Plastic baby bottles are the best. They don't easily break, they are long and narrow making them easy to fit in areas around the engine and most have graduated marks on it for easier measuring the amount of fuel being sprayed.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    With any unknown, you're expected to first turn the mixture screw counterclockwise a few turns first so that it wouldn't spray all over the place. Then jump the fuel pump and then adjust the mixture screw clockwise slowly just until is begins to leak, then go counterclockwise 1/2 turn from there. No one in their right mind should ever pull a line off the distributor on an unknown car and trust in blind faith that it wasn't set to rich.
    YES! -- I totally agree!

But, FWIW: That should be noted in the preparation section at least, which it is not.
    And I personally don't like the thought of someone accidentally pressing down on the wrench while peering into the port. (Granted, it does "mention" it.)

Safety first!
    Stepping off of soapbox...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3