FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mixture base setting

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    It depends on how far off the adjustment is. If it is off lean it won't do anything, if it is off set too rich it will drip/spray even without the plate pressed.

Are you able to reference this from Bosch for us so we know for sure?

I've never seen any 'official' recommended procedure for setting base. You're quoting a repair website and then telling everyone - this is it - the procedure - Bosch recommended. I think we'd all feel better if we saw something from Bosch themselves stating it because it seems unnecessarily messy and dangerous as opposed to simply removing an injector and controlling where your flammable liquid goes.
    Even though this is for Porsche kJet, Page 32: http://www.type17.ch/downloads/Injec...p%20Manual.pdf

Can't get anymore official then a Robert Bosch manual.

And, you don't need all the fuel lines off the distributor, only one. Place shop rags around it for spilled fuel. This just base lines the fuel distributor. If you're reusing old injectors, it'll be hard to baseline since they may be a little worn.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

The way I interpreted it was only one line needed to be removed and that didn't seem too bad but I guess it's just as easy to remove an injector.

I assume that the engine needs to be cranking in order for an injector to fire rather than just jumping the rpm relay and removing a line from the distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The way I interpreted it was only one line needed to be removed and that didn't seem too bad but I guess it's just as easy to remove an injector.

I assume that the engine needs to be cranking in order for an injector to fire rather than just jumping the rpm relay and removing a line from the distributor.
    You don't need the engine to crank to get the injectors to spray, just jump the fuel pump. No injector should spray or leak at rest with the fuel pump jumped, they should spray once you start pressing the metering flap down which pushes the plunger inside the distributor up to allow fuel to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    You don't need the engine to crank to get the injectors to spray, just jump the fuel pump. No injector should spray or leak at rest with the fuel pump jumped, they should spray once you start pressing the metering flap down which pushes the plunger inside the distributor up to allow fuel to pass.
    Got it, thanks. I would be a little worried about filling up the other cylinders with fuel though. IDK, I think the best method mentioned is to crack a line at the FD. I can handle a little gas running off, it's not like we got any hot exhaust to worry about.

Got it, thanks. I would be a little worried about filling up the other cylinders with fuel though. IDK, I think the best method mentioned is to crack a line at the FD. I can handle a little gas running off, it's not like we got any hot exhaust to worry about.
    If you're only removing one line from the distributor to do the "official" adjustment, I would still remove the injectors for the rest of the cylinders and put them in glass jars, or better yet, baby bottles. There is still a chance that the injectors will leak into the cylinders while your making the adjustments. That's just me.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Awesome, thank you for this!

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    Even though this is for Porsche kJet, Page 32: http://www.type17.ch/downloads/Injec...p%20Manual.pdf

Can't get anymore official then a Robert Bosch manual.
    -----Dan B.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Trying not to step on any toes here...

The OP wants to work on a non runner that has a lot of work to it. It is more possible that the adjusting screw has been previously turned way too far rich or that any FD is defective. In either case, following this procedure is prone to spraying fuel into the engine compartment, or worse, your eye.
    Anyway, his stated goal is to get it close. That procedure will work. But pulling one injector, making it weep and then barely backing it off is the way to get it the closest. It's faster and a lot safer.

Thanks Ron. The guy never got back to me which is suits me just fine.

I'm not exactly waiting by my princess phone twirling my hair hoping the quarterback calls to take me to the prom. I'll just go to the docks and wait for the fleet to come in.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Thanks Ron. The guy never got back to me which is suits me just fine.

I'm not exactly waiting by my princess phone twirling my hair hoping the quarterback calls to take me to the prom. I'll just go to the docks and wait for the fleet to come in.
    YW!

An aside-
    Speaking of phones, the firefighter instructor in me was having nightmares over this, so I PMed you my phone#...But you didn't call?? Thenn, my password quit working on Today. Once I found the recovery page (it is not on all pages asking for a password, as posted BTW;-), I could not figure out the random question (which is always the same BTW ;-). What "has whiskers, a tail, and shits in a box for..."?
    I tried:
    cat
    a cat
    Cat
    A cat.
    meow
    Meow
    pussy

I was beginning to wonder if you still love me...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast