FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: To Mod or Leave Alone? #2993

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

When you do an engine swap you usually need to do a lot of modifications to many of the systems in the car. It is not just an engine swap. You will put more money into the car then you could ever sell it for, especially if you don't do a lot of the work yourself. From an economic point of view, if you want a car with more performance, go out and buy one. In my case I found a Lotus Esprit with a V-8 twin turbo.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I would love to do a TDI swap, I have been saying this for several years.

Not in my own car though...

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    ... if you want a car with more performance, go out and buy one.
    and if you want a Delorean with more performance, swap the engine
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    and if you want a Delorean with more performance, swap the engine
    Guru just got Gurued!!

My VIN:    5312

Im not one to mod a classic car unless its for modern tasteful things that dont take away from its character and improve reliability/handling. That being said, there have been some absolute BANGER swaps on here lately and its a total joy to see what some people have been able to do, and awesome to see the progress they are making. if you are think you are up to it, do it. if not enjoy it for what it purely is. The DeLorean has character, no modern cars really do. it has class, elegance and is just a total joy and brings happiness everywhere, stock or not. End of the day its your car, do what you want.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Totally agree with Riley88 !

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I didn't say not to do it, I only pointed out that it makes no economic sense. I have seen some ugly engine swaps and I have seen some very nice ones. The nice ones are a lot more expensive to do and it shows. When you do an engine swap and you make the car more powerful and possibly heavier, to do it right, you have to do suspension and braking work too so the car is safe and controllable. There are no "plug and play" bolt-in options except for the Turbo installations that were offered in the past or the DMCH Stage I, II or III offerings. Anything else is going to be very custom and expensive. Even if you do a really nice job, and that means you spent a lot of money, even if it does make the car more valuable, you will not get back what you put into it. The market for a customized Delorean is limited. Once you do an engine swap you can no longer get support from the Delorean vendors, they wouldn't know how to service the motor or what parts to supply. For anyone doing an engine swap, my advice would be to fully and completely document everything so if you have to service the car, or you sell the car, someone will know what you did, how to get replacement parts, and how to service the car. That documentation WILL add value to the car.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    The DeLorean has character, no modern cars really do. it has class, elegance and is just a total joy and brings happiness everywhere....
    True! Our little mini-meets are proof that happiness follows the DeLorean

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I didn't say not to do it, I only pointed out that it makes no economic sense.
    LOL
    Using words like "economic sense" in a DeLorean forum.

You want to make economic sense? Buy a freaking used Corolla.

You want to have fun? Buy your dream car.

You want to live your life to the fullest? Make your dream car your vision of perfection and when someone uses words like "economic sense", tell them to go back to programming the contacts on their Jitterbug phones and watching reruns of "Matlock".

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    LOL
    Using words like "economic sense" in a DeLorean forum.

You want to make economic sense? Buy a freaking used Corolla.

You want to have fun? Buy your dream car.

You want to live your life to the fullest? Make your dream car your vision of perfection and when someone uses words like "economic sense", tell them to go back to programming the contacts on their Jitterbug phones and watching reruns of "Matlock".
    Hahaha

As soon as Deloreans start making "economic sense" you'll have all the vultures that only buy cars as investments come in and ruin it for all of us that enjoy the car for fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast