FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Recovering Seats

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    There is no sewn loop of cloth...the cloth that would have had that just has big plastic flaps, there is no way to put the original wire back in.

I'll take a pic tomorrow, when I get to it.
    Yeah, you just rotate the plastic so its horizontal. It doesn’t “secure” via anything other than tension/fitment. The fabric part is the same length as the foam is deep. You pull the plastic piece through and rotate it sideways. I did notvtake any pictures of mine, but think of an upside-down letter T. The horizontal part is the plastic, the vertical part is the fabric, and foam is on either side.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Yeah, you just rotate the plastic so its horizontal. It doesn’t “secure” via anything other than tension/fitment. The fabric part is the same length as the foam is deep. You pull the plastic piece through and rotate it sideways. I did notvtake any pictures of mine, but think of an upside-down letter T. The horizontal part is the plastic, the vertical part is the fabric, and foam is on either side.
    I attached the plastic parts with hog rings like the original covers were attached. That will keep the seat back tight in the middle.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Here is a picture of the new lower seat cover, for those who havent seen them and may be confused as to what I been babbling about..hehe.

LowerSeatCover.jpg

As you can see, DMCH changed them from the original design (and provided no instructions).

The seat back cover is the same as the original, except the rod is plastic, so the hog rings worked there.

Jacb, thanks for that info.

I will say just the seat backs have been providing quite the workout so far, specially for someone who works with puters all day and not pulling and stretching things...im an animator, not a taffy puller..lol
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Well here is the bottom of the passenger seat. This one seems looser than the drivers seat. I even used ty-wraps so it pulled tighter than hog rings. I still have to attach the sides but as you can see at the front photo there is no pull on the cover. So the length of the cover is to long or my foam has compressed. Maybe there was some change in the seats and L-seat made the covers from the other design.

Has everyone else found the lower seat covers seem to large?

I may try to add another bar at the back so I can pull it tighter.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 09-26-2020 at 01:47 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

I recovered one of my seats a few years back. Attached are pictures of the tools and rings I used.20200926_135225[1].jpg20200926_135330[1].jpg
    Shannon

What I did was put the 14 gauge fence wire at the sew seam and fold the cover over on that seam. Then I start pulling the ty-wraps tight, turn the seat over and work the cover to the back, tighten the ty-wraps a little, etc. Yes it would be better to have my new seam sewed but I think it will hold since the ty-wraps are pulling tight around the wire.
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Hi Dave, I confirm that my lower seat (the seating portion) is somewhat loose too, from my Lseat. But the back portion is a perfect fit.

It could very well be that after all these years, the original foam material has just compress. I think for me that it is just good enough for my taste and fit. Maybe if it annoy me over time, I might try to have add new foam material there, « butt » like I say, it’s comfortable enough for me.

My VIN:    10270

Steaming the foam will help. On mine the bolster-bar pockets were not optimally sewn. My pass side has the eyelets on the bolster bars pretty much touching the zip ties/washers.

When I get to my drivers seat, the plan is to shorten those pockets up so the center can be pulled tighter.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Steaming the foam will help. On mine the bolster-bar pockets were not optimally sewn. My pass side has the eyelets on the bolster bars pretty much touching the zip ties/washers.

When I get to my drivers seat, the plan is to shorten those pockets up so the center can be pulled tighter.
    Very good idea. That is what I intended to do with my passenger seat too. And if that works fine, I will probably de-hog rings my driver seat and do it again like that too. -sorry for my English there- I am canadian, so yes sorry

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post

Yes, I had most of mine also pulled right to the ty-wrap ends hitting the washers.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast