FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Terrible Radio Reception

Terrible Radio Reception

I searched a bit and couldn't find an answer so, here's my question.

I have awful radio reception in my car. I have the manually retractable, front right fender mount antenna.

I have replaced all 4 speakers, the wiring between the speakers and the radio. The wiring between the radio and the antenna, and I even replaced the manually retractable antenna with a NOS one from DMCMW.

I still have terrible reception. The radio is original to the car, could it be causing the reception issue?

Anything else I'm not thinking of? TIA

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If radio reception is that important to you get a satellite radio receiver. The reception in the Delorean with the original radio was never very good.
    David Teitelbaum

reception can be optimized a bit but the CRAIG will never be really good.

if you are in Europe there is one more mod that can be done.

alternative if you want to keep it (almost) stock: bluetooth installation into the radio and
    connect it with a different source like DavidT said.

My VIN:    10270

Do you have any other modern electronics, like a USB phone charger for example?

Some of these things have such poor noise control they can reduce your ability to receive radio considerably.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Is it the Craig radio? Your problem is with AM or FM or both?

For best FM with Craig: Toggle the DX (distant station) switch on and off a few times. Leave it in ON mode (red light on).

In fringe locations you can also try Mono mode (toggle ST switch off) for improvement but of course no stereo performance in this mode.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

I don't have any electronics in the car other then my cellphone in my pocket, it is very stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Is it the Craig radio? Your problem is with AM or FM or both?

For best FM with Craig: Toggle the DX (distant station) switch on and off a few times. Leave it in ON mode (red light on).

In fringe locations you can also try Mono mode (toggle ST switch off) for improvement but of course no stereo performance in this mode.
    Mine is the Craig radio I believe. The one with the clock built into the cassette deck door. The FM reception is what I was talking about, I'm not sure if I've ever tried AM.

I'll try all of those suggestionns tomorrow. Maybe I'll need to give DMCMW a call about rebuilding my radio.

My VIN:    3937

Double-check the antenna wire is still plugged into the back of the stereo. I pulled mine out inadvertently once fussing around with things underneath the glovebox.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Double-check the antenna wire is still plugged into the back of the stereo. I pulled mine out inadvertently once fussing around with things underneath the glovebox.
    I do have an extension between the radio and antenna. When I wiggled that, it changed the quality of my reception. Maybe I need to reroute some wires to eliminate that extension