FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Starter grinds on hot start

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    2723

Starter grinds on hot start

So cold the car fires right up, but after driving it for awhile and stopping at either shows or a visit, upon trying to start the car to leave the starter grinds, every time i take it out.
    The starter should be new, i had a ton of work done at delorean performance industries about 5 years ago and the car only has about 200 miles on it in the 5 years since the rebuild.
    Any suggestions?

I should note that after like 4 tries it starts... but that embarrassing grinding sound...sounds like its wrecking stuff
    mike
    Last edited by howlingwind13; 09-22-2020 at 08:01 PM.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

So, 200 miles in five years isn’t even a tank of gas. That’s incredibly hard on these cars. Are you still running all the factory fuel injection stuff. If, so was the accumulator replaced? What about fuel pump? Is OE style or the newer fuel tank and sender module?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Everything is newer upgrades...
    Reason for the infrequent drives...it a time machine replicas so can't leave it unattended...and I started my own business...that took up ALL my free time.

Then I take that to mean no EFI conversion? It sounds like you have the classic hot start issue. Could be accumulator, PPR o-rings, or fuel pump check valve or added inline check valve. But hey, since it’s a Time machine replica, now you have movie accurate hard starts.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Then I take that to mean no EFI conversion? It sounds like you have the classic hot start issue. Could be accumulator, PPR o-rings, or fuel pump check valve or added inline check valve. But hey, since it’s a Time machine replica, now you have movie accurate hard starts.
    The classic hot start issue doesn’t include a grinding sound. Just long periods of cranking with no start.

The OPs problem sounds like a bendix drive that is not fully extending, and therefore not meshing correctly with the flywheel.

Starter grinds on hot start

I believe grinding, in this case, means the sound the new lightweight starter makes naturally while cranking and not starting.

But yes, it could mean the starter solenoid is not engaging the flywheel too.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 09-22-2020 at 09:51 PM.
    DENNIS

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The starter does make a "grinding" sound when it operates but I am not sure the OP has stated the problem correctly. If he means the motor doesn't start right away when hot and he is still running the starter and it is still making noise but the motor isn't running, that is the symptom of the classic hard hot restart. If, on the other hand the starter is making unusual noises when the motor gets hot, that is not the hard restart problem. I don't know what would cause a starter to make bad noises when starting a hot motor as opposed to starting a cold motor. My suggestion would be, the next time he has trouble restarting the car, do the plug swap. If that gets the motor going then he has the hard restart problem, not a starter problem. On a time machine that isn't easy, getting the engine cover open! If the starter is making bad noises, it is either or both the starter and the flywheel ring gear. The first step would be to pull and examine the starter and ring gear. Not a lot of history with bad starters, I would do the plug swap first and see if that helps.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Bad starter drives often slip more when they are warm (roller clutch). Sometimes they will slip-grab over and over and sound like it is eating the flywheel...

Guess I should be more accurate, it is a flywheel/starter grinding....after hot

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by howlingwind13 View Post
    Guess I should be more accurate, it is a flywheel/starter grinding....after hot
    That is unusual. I assume it starts normally when hot, just more noisy during starting. First step would be to pull the starter and examine it for any signs of wear or damage, especially to the Bendix drive.
    David Teitelbaum