FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Might be time to fix 5-speed leaks

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Hello, I am new to this please accept my ignorance. I have a similar picture and leaks as the thread starter. The Gearbox is dismantled and we are planning to change all the seals but also the front and back cover gaskets.
    I was trying to find more information on the PCV bit couldn't. I presume it is Pressure Control Valve? Can someone pint me at the article which explains it exactly or probably point at the pats schematic so I can check it? The engine is disassembled, too. Thank you!

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9T mit Tapatalk
    I'm pretty sure PCV stands for positive crankcase ventilation. Back in the old days all engines just used a pipe that extended down under the engine which was cut to draw a very slight vacuum from the air flowing past the pipe as you drove the car.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Interesting and thanks for the education! I assume the metal mesh could be cleaned with mineral spirits and the fixed orifice cleared out with some compressed air. I'll have to take a look at these (as well as the breather hole on my manual trans).
    Spirits, brake cleaner, anything like that should work. The orifice is just a hole in a tube and normally maintenance free. There are two of these in the cold start tube, one for PCV and one for the vapor canister. If you remove either small vacuum hose you can see inside and IIRC both have the same orifice diameter. It's a pretty simple way to allow engine vacuum to draw out blowby gasses without burning excessive quantities of oil vapors.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Spirits, brake cleaner, anything like that should work. The orifice is just a hole in a tube and normally maintenance free. There are two of these in the cold start tube, one for PCV and one for the vapor canister. If you remove either small vacuum hose you can see inside and IIRC both have the same orifice diameter. It's a pretty simple way to allow engine vacuum to draw out blowby gasses without burning excessive quantities of oil vapors.
    Oh, OK so the orifice is actually on the CSV tube. Is there anything to clean inside the air filter box cover?
    VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Olathe, KS

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Oh, OK so the orifice is actually on the CSV tube. Is there anything to clean inside the air filter box cover?
    Just wipe it out and if necessary replace the air filter. It usually gets oily where the small hose connects in at the top. Also inspect the air sensor plate and venturi. If it is dirty, wipe it clean. Make sure the air sensor plate is not touching the sides as it moves and it should move freely after the fuel pressure drops.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    05257

Hi, can someone post the part numbers of PCV and the tube with CSV, I will then find them in the catalogue. I am still lost Thank you!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Hi, can someone post the part numbers of PCV and the tube with CSV, I will then find them in the catalogue. I am still lost Thank you!

A PCV valve goes in the valve cover on some cars, they are NOT used on a Delorean.

See #1(CSV) and #6(tube):
    https://store.delorean.com/parts/fue...me-switch.html

See: Workshop Manual pages D:06:02-D:06:03
    (Has a sealed crankcase, and uses CCV Closed Crankcase Ventilation.)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A really quick and simple test of the ventilation system is to take a piece of paper and place it over the oil fill while the motor is running. If it doesn't stay put, either the system is not working or you have very worn piston rings. If the motor isn't burning oil it isn't the rings. Rare for anything to go wrong with the ventilation system unless someone modified it (it's SO simple!). On cars with boosted induction (a turbocharger or supercharger) it isn't unusual to find broken piston rings and piston lands creating excessive crankcase pressure.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    A really quick and simple test of the ventilation system is to take a piece of paper and place it over the oil fill while the motor is running. If it doesn't stay put, either the system is not working or you have very worn piston rings.
    Doesn't it quit working when you remove the oil fill cap??

My VIN:    05257

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    A PCV valve goes in the valve cover on some cars, they are NOT used on a Delorean.

See #1(CSV) and #6(tube):
    https://store.delorean.com/parts/fue...me-switch.html

See: Workshop Manual pages D:06:02-D:06:03
    (Has a sealed crankcase, and uses CCV Closed Crankcase Ventilation.)
    Thanks! Since the parts are lying here in my house I checked them all, they are good.

Just struggling to link this all to the 5 Speed Gearbox oil issues.

I was in the workshop today and inspected my gearbox (it is not disassembled yet). I did not find any valves or breathers on it. May be I am searching wrong?

Also the mechanic replaced the rear crankshaft seal and said that there was a wrong one installed, smaller than should be (it was a black colour). The new ones are brown.

Just struggling to link this all to the 5 Speed Gearbox oil issues.

I was in the workshop today and inspected my gearbox (it is not disassembled yet). I did not find any valves or breathers on it. May be I am searching wrong?
    There is a vent hole in the top of the transmission that Mark mentioned that needs to be clean -- That's all there is for it.
    The crankcase ventilation, valves, vacuum, etc. have nothing to do with the manual trans.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast