FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Automatic Transmission Governor computer upgrade testimonials?

My VIN:    1335

Automatic Transmission Governor computer upgrade testimonials?

I'm going to be upgrading the governor computer for my automatic transmission. I was curious as to those who have performed the update and your experience with it. Pros and cons welcome.

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dhennick99 View Post
    I'm going to be upgrading the governor computer for my automatic transmission. I was curious as to those who have performed the update and your experience with it. Pros and cons welcome.
    They swap out the old circuitry with modern internals. Definitely worth it.

My VIN:    1335

Quote Originally Posted by bytes311 View Post
    They swap out the old circuitry with modern internals. Definitely worth it.
    Shifting smoother? Is the difference noticeable?

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dhennick99 View Post
    Shifting smoother? Is the difference noticeable?
    That I can't really answer for as my gov was practically shot when I first bought the car. It does shift nice and smooth though. From what I understand, the original analog computer is prone to bad solder joints.

I upgraded mine a few years back. Well worth it. Shifts are crisp and more reliable than the original unit. Mine had bad solder joints in it that were repaired once. Lasted a few years then starting acting up again. I upgraded and have never looked back. Very happy with mine. Picked mine up from DMCMW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you are handy with a soldering iron and you want to save a few bucks, you can repair the old one. If you aren't comfortable doing this and want a bolt-in replacement, and the price is not an obstacle, the digital upgrade is the way to go. The transmission has to be in good shape too. A good shift computer can't improve a bad transmission. Start by checking the fluid. Not just the level, the smell and how dark the fluid is. If the transmission is slipping, it is too far gone.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    04629

Shift Computer Rebuild

@ Dhennick99 ........I agree with @David T, if you have the skills this isn't that difficult of an upgrade to do.

See my post #7322 In 'What have you done to your DeLorean today?' There aren't many components to replace, just be sure to remove the "varnish" before trying to un-solder any part or wire.

My Computer has performed just fine for over 2 years, still shifting great.......be sure fluid level is correct.

My VIN:    ******* 01860 - Legend TT 06068 - VQ35 SC

Club(s):   (DMA)

I prefer repairing the originals.. I have done both methods for other people, and I really do not see any advantage to the newer "digital" version. Some say the shifting is more crisp? faster? That is the same as a "butt dyno" IMHO. The solenoids in the transmission that control the shifting are either on or off.

If you are not comfortable doing the work yourself, send me a PM.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Got any new Purflux oil filters? I may want to buy them.
    Learn about Vin 01860 with a Legend Industries engine: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...oDeLorean.html
    I can fix your Craig W460 radio: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...te-player.html