FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Auto trans issue, suggestions needed

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    I have a related issue I wanted to start a thread on - but this seems like a very similar problem, so I'll ask it here instead:

After changing the transmission oil (and if I remember correctly moving a cable under the car for acces) my DeLorean started to haft trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd in D or 2 on the gear selector most of the time - especially when hot. It revs very high in 1st and sometimes it feels like it disengages 1st w/o selecting another gear. If I ease off the throttle it settles in normal operation in 1st gear and if I push hard on the throttle (but not necessarily flooring it) it catches 2nd (I'm guessing? Maybe 3rd). If I instead increase throttle steadily it revs very high (3000-4000rpms) before slamming into 3rd.

I'm not sure it happens when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Either it goes from 3rd directly to 1st or from 3rd to 2nd fine. Sometimes when I brake really hard from 3rd gear the engine chokes and goes out. (Perhaps because it doesn't travel through 2nd?)

Strangely enough it grabs 2nd gear perfectly and with no hesitation if I'm driving in 3rd and floor it. Supposedly b/c of the kick down microswitch?
    Also there is no problem shifting from 2nd back to 3rd when approaching max speed and/or easing off the floored throttle.

Anyways, I'm a little intimidated by the prospect of checking the automatic transmission for damage/errors, so any and all input would be appreciated.
    Hey, I'd like to understand better what cable you mean here. Two things come to mind. One is the parking brake cable for the passenger side rear wheel that runs under the edge of the auto trans fluid pan. Moving it (and then moving it back) won't affect much of anything. Not on the transmission anyway.

The other cable is the extension from the throttle spool that comes down to the little yellowing plastic contraption that's part of the shift computer. This is part of what helps the shift computer decide what gear to be in. When you press the accelerator pedal, that throttle cable coming from the driver's footwell pulls on the throttle spool and rotates it, giving the car more air and gas and vroom vroom. There is also a portion of cable that comes off that same rotation and this portion travels down the passenger side of the engine and trans and clips into the little 90 degree rotating bell shaped thing.

Pictures here: Make sure this isn't the cable you unclipped for access to change the fluid. Well, check it anyway as it's important.

idle.jpgfloored.jpg

The two positions of that rotating piece show floored (with the fingers in view) and at idle (without the fingers showing).

Actually, thinking of having the pedal floored, you can also check your WOT (wide open throttle) switches which that same throttle spool bump into when the pedal is all the way down. They are tiny microswitches, one with the flap and one without, and when they get engaged, do two things. One of them tells your shift computer to go down one gear and the other adds extra fuel into the mixture. The automatics have both of those switches while the manual trans only has the fuel enrichment (lower one with the flap). They plug into the wiring connectors that look like Tetris puzzle pieces. If you aren't sure about them working correctly, unplug them. Unplugged is fine, but stuck on is a problem and your shift computer won't behave with them like that.

Quick question - what's the U shaped shiny tube attached to the coolant pipe in picture 8?
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Mighty auto trans cooler pipe.
    Yea, new oil cooler hoses. Looks the same as the old, but new = shiny!

108493.jpg101793.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Delorean Guru

My VIN:    10757

Club(s):   (DMA)

Whenever you have trouble with the automatic transmission the best place to start is with all of the "On Car" adjustments and checks. This includes the level and the throttle cable. Also inspect the wiring for any heat damage and that it is secured away from the exhaust pipes.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10207

Question Uhm...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Mighty auto trans cooler pipe.
    IMG_1412.jpg
    Am I running w/o that?
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

My VIN:    10207

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Hey, I'd like to understand better what cable you mean here. Two things come to mind. One is the parking brake cable for the passenger side rear wheel that runs under the edge of the auto trans fluid pan. Moving it (and then moving it back) won't affect much of anything. Not on the transmission anyway.

The other cable is the extension from the throttle spool that comes down to the little yellowing plastic contraption that's part of the shift computer. This is part of what helps the shift computer decide what gear to be in. When you press the accelerator pedal, that throttle cable coming from the driver's footwell pulls on the throttle spool and rotates it, giving the car more air and gas and vroom vroom. There is also a portion of cable that comes off that same rotation and this portion travels down the passenger side of the engine and trans and clips into the little 90 degree rotating bell shaped thing.

Pictures here: Make sure this isn't the cable you unclipped for access to change the fluid. Well, check it anyway as it's important.

idle.jpgfloored.jpg

The two positions of that rotating piece show floored (with the fingers in view) and at idle (without the fingers showing).

Actually, thinking of having the pedal floored, you can also check your WOT (wide open throttle) switches which that same throttle spool bump into when the pedal is all the way down. They are tiny microswitches, one with the flap and one without, and when they get engaged, do two things. One of them tells your shift computer to go down one gear and the other adds extra fuel into the mixture. The automatics have both of those switches while the manual trans only has the fuel enrichment (lower one with the flap). They plug into the wiring connectors that look like Tetris puzzle pieces. If you aren't sure about them working correctly, unplug them. Unplugged is fine, but stuck on is a problem and your shift computer won't behave with them like that.

Yea, new oil cooler hoses. Looks the same as the old, but new = shiny!

108493.jpg101793.jpg
    Thanks, I'm gonna have a look at that. I think this is the cable: The one that goes across the coolant pipe. It was in the way of getting to remove the pan for the automatic transmission, where we went to change the filter and gasket.

IMG_1412.jpg
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

Under Ron's watchful eye. Glory be to Ron! Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    None of your business you creepy psycho vin counter...get a life

IMG_1412.jpg
    Am I running w/o that?
    Looks like you are missing the hose (or hoses). The cooler pipe is kind of a rudimentary heat exchanger for the fluid using the engine coolant. I would be curious to see how they plugged up the outlet and inlet ports on the transmission and why they did to begin with. Maybe the cooler pipe section is broke? Here are a few pics of mine with the PJ Grady cooler wrap installed. The 4141 is a pretty delicate transmission and I do everything possible to keep the fluid clean and cool which includes changing the fluid every other oil change.

SmartSelect_20201016-070238_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20201016-070103_Gallery.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg
    Am I running w/o that?
    I would remedy that ASAP. The trans cooler was added to production after one of the 50,000 mile test vehicles revealed transmission cooling issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2