FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just looked at an '81 D...advise on stainless panel (s), please?

My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

Just looked at an '81 D...advise on stainless panel (s), please?

Flew out west to look at an '81 D, in vg condition, 21k miles, 2 owner.
    Driver's door has vertical, 10" shallow indentation directly below the rearview mirror. There is no visible kink in panel, but my question is can it be bumped back out?

Also, areas of body have superficial grain irregularities, like an occasional semi-whorl, and other areas that do not have perfect grain lines (not original ones). Can the panels be regrained gently to make symmetrical? Im really green at this, but like the car, but these are two concerns about buying it. Thanks if any of you guys can help guide me. Would appreciate much!!,

Kurt
    Last edited by 84Impulse; 07-03-2021 at 02:41 PM.

My VIN:    5312

You can either re-grain by hand carefully which isn't too bad, or if you search the forum using the search function there are quite a few threads on buying the correct regaining tools. I will leave the issue of the indent on the door to a more knowledgeable forum member as i have no experience with that type of issue bud.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    3937

The answer is YES.

The answer to who can do that for you is Chris Nicholson. Either you get your car to him (in the UK) or you get lucky and he comes to your car (or a shop that's coordinated him working on several cars all under one trip to North America).

Technically anyone with opposable thumbs can repair stainless (which is to say everyone can). The trick is how many panels would you be willing to learn on and potentially make worse trying to get to expert level? Chris is the best in the world at these repairs from years of experience and his work speaks for itself. I would reach out to whoever your local club or group of other owners are and see if anyone else has been trying to coordinate one of these work trips here for Chris. We did one in Southern Ontario a few years ago and I think we had 22 cars get work done over 3+ weeks. I almost didn't recognize my car because the difference in the stainless was so pronounced.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Would have been nice if you had pics of the indentation. The regrain thing is not an issue.

Did the seller tell you about the indentation prior to your coming? That would bother me.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 84Impulse View Post
    Driver's door has vertical, 10" shallow indentation directly below the rearview mirror. There is no visible kink in panel, but my question is can it be bumped back out?
    Before:
    002.jpg 001.jpg

After:
    20140525_142933_resized.jpg 20140525_142941_resized.jpg

Very impressive! Is that your car Ron? Was that done with body hammers?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Very impressive! Is that your car Ron? Was that done with body hammers?
    It was mine at the time. That's Ben's (Soundkiller) work. I dropped it off, so all I can tell you about the process is that he had to stretch it to work his magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    You can either re-grain by hand carefully which isn't too bad, or if you search the forum using the search function there are quite a few threads on buying the correct regaining tools. I will leave the issue of the indent on the door to a more knowledgeable forum member as i have no experience with that type of issue bud.
    Thank you Riley!! Will dig in

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The answer is YES.

The answer to who can do that for you is Chris Nicholson. Either you get your car to him (in the UK) or you get lucky and he comes to your car (or a shop that's coordinated him working on several cars all under one trip to North America).

Technically anyone with opposable thumbs can repair stainless (which is to say everyone can). The trick is how many panels would you be willing to learn on and potentially make worse trying to get to expert level? Chris is the best in the world at these repairs from years of experience and his work speaks for itself. I would reach out to whoever your local club or group of other owners are and see if anyone else has been trying to coordinate one of these work trips here for Chris. We did one in Southern Ontario a few years ago and I think we had 22 cars get work done over 3+ weeks. I almost didn't recognize my car because the difference in the stainless was so pronounced.
    Thats incredible, thank you v much, Jonathan. Will look him up. I could buy a damaged panel on ebay and practice if i cant get it to him. Thxx again..

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    It was mine at the time. That's Ben's (Soundkiller) work. I dropped it off, so all I can tell you about the process is that he had to stretch it to work his magic.
    Unbelievable, Ron, that was serious damage!! Thank you for posting all of this

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast