FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing the crankshaft pulley - looking for guidance

I have a good used crank pulley if you need one (with nut).

I removed mine without removing the fascia. Mine was REALLY on there. After trying with a breaker bar, I gave up and got this impact driver. It's low profile so it will fit in without removing the fascia and it knocked it loose in no time.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...nch-63534.html

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Only way I was able to remove mine was to heat the nut with a torch and it spun right off, not sure if someone used thread locker on it or what but without the heat it didn't budge.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    3937

Spring is almost here and revisiting this job I need to do on my car.

Does anyone have a picture that would show where the "sleeve" goes in this process? I see the suggestion to "resleeve" but don't know what that means.

Also, David T., if I'm going to try and bang this dent back into shape and get away from replacing it entirely, am I still going to need to remove the pulley to work on it on a workbench? Or can I do my banging it back into shape still attached to the engine? Wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not to do it while still attached over concern for banging something else unintendedly crooked.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Spring is almost here and revisiting this job I need to do on my car.

Does anyone have a picture that would show where the "sleeve" goes in this process? I see the suggestion to "resleeve" but don't know what that means.

Also, David T., if I'm going to try and bang this dent back into shape and get away from replacing it entirely, am I still going to need to remove the pulley to work on it on a workbench? Or can I do my banging it back into shape still attached to the engine? Wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not to do it while still attached over concern for banging something else unintendedly crooked.
    Depends on a lot of factors. Access, your level of skill, how bad the dent is, etc. Off the car, on a bench, you have a lot more control.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Depends on a lot of factors. Access, your level of skill, how bad the dent is, etc. Off the car, on a bench, you have a lot more control.
    Ok, understood. I wouldn't expect to need to hit it so hard that I put a warp in the crankshaft itself. Figure though if I remove it to work on it I would just replace it with new. This is partly because I looked recently and the replacements are half the cost of what they used to be, which is good news to be certain.

Still not sure if I need to buy this new replacement "speedi sleeve"? Not sure where that goes or if that is something you only need to replace if you're reusing your old pulley. I can't seem to visualize where that sleeve goes looking at the parts diagrams or pictures online.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Ok, understood. I wouldn't expect to need to hit it so hard that I put a warp in the crankshaft itself. Figure though if I remove it to work on it I would just replace it with new. This is partly because I looked recently and the replacements are half the cost of what they used to be, which is good news to be certain.

Still not sure if I need to buy this new replacement "speedi sleeve"? Not sure where that goes or if that is something you only need to replace if you're reusing your old pulley. I can't seem to visualize where that sleeve goes looking at the parts diagrams or pictures online.

The only way to know if you need one or not is to remove the pulley and see if it has a groove worn into it. If there is, you get the sleeve, hammer it down over the groove so the seal has a nice, flat surface to ride on. Here would be an example:

https://bwparts.com/speedi-sleeve.html

However, you mention that you don't have any leaks from the pulley area itself so I think it would be safe to say that you do not need a sleeve.
    -----Dan B.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Not for a DeLorean, but you can get the idea:
    sleeve.jpg
    They are only needed if the pulley's mating surface for the seal has been damaged causing an oil leak (usually from dirt cutting a groove).

A few pics would help us in making suggestions WRT straightening it.

EDIT: Just saw Speedy Dan's post...

My VIN:    10270

Here's a pic of mine on a DMC pulley.
    Screenshot_2021-03-05--CKP---Crankshaft-Position-Sensor.jpg
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Perfect. I get what it's for now. I think I got thrown off by looking at the installation cup as it's described in one of those links. Couldn't picture how that fit in until realizing it didn't (install tool only). Thanks for the help.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast