FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Changing the crankshaft pulley - looking for guidance

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

If you don't see similar coming from the tail pipes, I'd guess it's just the PB etc. burning off.
    Let it get good and hot then rinse it off with a water hose.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    If you don't see similar coming from the tail pipes, I'd guess it's just the PB etc. burning off.
    Let it get good and hot then rinse it off with a water hose.
    Good call on the hose, Ron. I did that last night and then went for a drive. My usual lap of 40 or so miles and everything was fine. Thanks.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

The smoke was probably just residue junk from your hands and the PB burning off.

On the pulley, I have a diesel truck and you would sware its pulley is bent or out of round when the truck is running. I removed the mount bolts and rotated it with a dial indicator on the edge two differnt ways. It was dead true. I guess the crank could be bent. (Unlikely) I think an engine just gives that illusion. If your really worried, you could pull the spark plugs and rotate it with a dial indicator. That would rule out the crank too.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    The smoke was probably just residue junk from your hands and the PB burning off.

On the pulley, I have a diesel truck and you would sware its pulley is bent or out of round when the truck is running. I removed the mount bolts and rotated it with a dial indicator on the edge two differnt ways. It was dead true. I guess the crank could be bent. (Unlikely) I think an engine just gives that illusion. If your really worried, you could pull the spark plugs and rotate it with a dial indicator. That would rule out the crank too.
    Thanks for that. It is a bit of an illusion. And hard to capture on camera. Like our eyes see it in person, but not otherwise. And the engine itself is moving a little bit too in the mounts, especially at idle when you first turn it on.

I'll just leave it as is and monitor for anything further unusual. Cheers.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    \ If your really worried, you could pull the spark plugs and rotate it with a dial indicator. That would rule out the crank too.
    I'm just now reading this thread... what are you suggesting here? You're saying he could see if the crank is bent by checking TDC value as per the dial indicator in each piston? I've never seen anyone do this so I watched this video which makes sense. I guess if the crank were bent you would see variance in different pistons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKTNKGCeOkc
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6