FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: 1981 DeLorean For Sale - Vin 1800

My VIN:    1800

1981 DeLorean For Sale - Vin 1800

Well guys I just got slammed hard with unexpected medical bills. I hate having any debt over my head so one of my toys has to go. Decided to post my DeLorean up for sale. With that being said, I really don't want to sell this car and I have another toy up for sale that I hope sells before this car does. If my other toy sells before the DeLorean, the DeLorean will no longer be for sale.

I have the DeLorean priced at $29,000 since that is the least amount of money it will take for me to part with it. If you're interested here's the details,

1981 DeLorean #1800 (June of '81 Build)
    Black interior with 5-Speed Manual Transmission
    47,000 miles
    Early style Gas-flap Hood
    Windshield antenna
    Early darker colored wheels

I've owned the car since May of 2019. I've put around 5k~ish miles on the car since then. I've taken the car on two separate 500 mile road trips in the past two months with no issues.

In the past year of ownership I've replaced and completed the following work on the car,
    ----
    Brakes all around. Replaced rotors and pads with new from DMCMW

Upgraded Cooling Fans from DeLorean Industries

Fuel accumulator from DeLoreanGO

Stainless braided fuel lines from DeLorean Industries

Alternator from DeLorean Industries

A/C lines from DeLorean Industries

A/C Compressor from DeLorean Industries

R134 conversion

Door Struts from DMCMW

Cooper tires all around with less than 2k miles currently on them

Updated relay and fuse box kit from DMCMW

Upgraded Tail light boards from DeLorean Industries

Mirror glass from DMCMW

Kenwood radio with Bluetooth

Flowmaster 80 series muffler

PPR O-rings from DPI

New Headlights
    ----
    The car runs and drives well. Transmission and motor are both healthy. Heat blows super hot. A/C blows ice cold. I've spent a ton of money working out the bugs on this car. That being said there are still some flaws, which are mostly cosmetic.
    The material on the seats is not original and is a cloth with vinyl. They look ok though. The previous owner installed a patch job on the center console near the front to cover up cracking. It will need to be recovered to look 100%.
    The rear quarter panels have a couple of blemishes (see pictures). I'm sure the blemishes on quarter panels could be fixed but worst case scenario both panels could be replaced for less than $2500 so not that big of a deal. Wheels have some blemishes as well. Fascia's look decent but do have some small paint bubbling in spots. The rear louver needs some love. Once again see pictures for a better understanding. Like most DeLorean's, the doors could use some adjusting or tweaking. More so on the passenger side as it rubs the t-panel slightly when opening.

Overall this is a nice running and driving car that just needs a little T.L.C. to be made 100% again. I will take more pictures and a few videos of the car to post when I can. I will also try to get access to a lift to take better pictures of the frame. I encourage anyone interested to come see the car in person or have a full inspection prior to sale. Feel free to send me a PM with any questions. If you prefer to talk on the phone send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number.

Price is $29,000. Sorry not interested in any trades.

Thanks for your time.
    -Nathan

Nathan D.

Current owner of #1800 - June '81, Black Interior, Manual

Former owner of #3455 - Twin Turbo - Aug '81, Custom Interior, Manual

Former owner of #2923 - The "Cornfield" DeLorean - Aug '81, Black Interior, Automatic

Former owner of #5788 - Oct '81, Grey Interior, Manual

Good luck selling it....

Good morning sir,
    Nice car, I used to own it!
    I bought VIN 1800 back in 2002. It was sitting in a fenced in area of the Greenville Auto Auction company, in greenville, north carolina. The car wasn't with the rest of the normal auction cars, it really wasn't for sell. I approached the auctioneer about the car, and he told me to come back on Monday. I went back mondat and offered him 3500 for the car, and he countered for $4500.
    I accepted! I think Delos were selling for between 15 and 20k, so I got a great deal. I was about 22 years old.

The motor wasn't stuck, but wouldn't crank. Fuel system was clogged with bad fuel. My father and I fixed it. It had a ton of problems though, interior was a little rough, a few dents, bad brakes, etc. One bad noticeable dent was behind the rear wheel, but my father was able to make it less noticeable. I can remember working on the car at my parents house, and we saw a deer in the field behind their house. My father said get the gun! So I got my gun, killed the deer, and got nothing done on the car. Spent the evening gutting a deer when all I wanted to do was get the car running.
    The louvers were cracked. I local metal fabricator and farmer made me a support that we attached to stiffen them.
    I ran the car hot and warped the head. So we had the head machined, and put it all back together.
    Of course, my father painted the front and rear facias.
    I made a speaker panel for the storage compartment behind the driver seat. I think it was a kicker with a kicker amp (?)
    I attended a DeLorean car show in Tennessee with it, and saw someone with seats that looked pretty cool, I had an upholstery business in New bern nc make my seats. (The only difference between what I had and what I saw in Tennessee was the Tennessee car had DMC embroidered over and over again down the center of the seat)
    The binnicle, I think we covered in leather. The clear lens to cover the gauges was a piece of plexiglass because the original was completely hazed up.

To reduce the chance of the car overheating, I placed a toggle switch in the ashtray as a fan over ride.

The story I got when I bought the car was it belonged to a guy named Franc White. Mr. White had a local TV show in the 70s and 80s called "the southern sportsman". He was famous for having a zebra paint scheme on his airplane, and his dog. Google him. Yoill find him. The title for the car was "franc white productions inc".
    I was told he had 2 deloreans. One of which he kept, the other being this one. Someone stole the radio out of the car and damaged the center console. My income at the time is why you have a seam in the center console. It drove me crazy because the seam on the left and right weren't cut to the same length.

He left it with the auction company and I acquired it.

I drove that car to Florida from NC with no engine problems what so ever.
    I was in jax Florida with friends and picked up 2 girls at a club. We all piled in the car and took off. I wish I could tell you the night ended great, but the shift linkage in the tunnel separated leaving the car in 2nd gear. I fixed it in a Walmart parking lot at 3 in the morning!

Back in New bern nc, when I went out with the car, it was a photo magnet. Clubs would let me park out front and the car got a lot of attention. I think I had me driving, 2 girls in the front seat, and one on the parcel shelf. (The good ole days!)

The guy that bought it from me found my ebay listing. I sold it for 15500. More than doubling my investment. I think he came from near Charlotte, nc to get it.
    He and his brother in law came to get the car. The arrived in a slk meecedes. The dude that wanted to buy it wanted me to drive it on the test drive because he couldn't drive a stickshift. Then his brother in-law drove it, then they drove off in it.

But anyway, that's the history. I bought it with about 43k miles, and maybe but 2k on it.

I purchased another delorean in 2017 that was a basket case, and later sold it due to needing a bigger truck to pull a boat.

Anyway, good luck selling it. I thought you'd appreciate the history lesson. Wish I could afford it, I'd love to have it back

Quote Originally Posted by keithericparsons77 View Post
    Anyway, good luck selling it. I thought you'd appreciate the history lesson. Wish I could afford it, I'd love to have it back
    That's amazing and very cool! I had very limited history on the car prior to me. I appreciate you contacting me! Would it be ok if I send you a PM. Would love to see any pictures you have of the car! I'm still crossing my fingers I don't have to sell this car lol.
    Nathan D.

Former owner of #2923 - The "Cornfield" DeLorean - Aug '81, Black Interior, Automatic

Finally got around to making three videos of the car. Here's the links,

https://youtu.be/Ttw3ptX4q3w

https://youtu.be/GYzUmxHW3Bo

https://youtu.be/HzdU0PXqlVY

One thing to note about the tail lights. In the video I said there was an issue with the mounting holes for them. This is on the fascia itself. Nothing wrong the the tail lights themselves. Also I'm trying to get access to a lift for better frame shots. It maybe a little while before I can, but I'm trying.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
    Nathan
    Nathan D.

** sale pending **
    Nathan D.