FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Antenna Relocation

Antenna Relocation

I was curious if this was a thing, especially in regards to a right fender antenna. Has anyone moved it to the rear quarter panel like in the later years? Luckily, the right fender is the one you can actually replace with a NOS for 1k or you can have the hole plugged, welded, and sanded. Still more readily available than a left front fender.

The original radio/speakers have a chassis ground versus new tech having a simple positive and negative; if they had to be removed and rewired anyway then I was curious about relocating.

For the record, I don't own one. I don't want to say I'm seriously looking, but I have been doing searches more frequently than usual. I have known what I wanted for a long time, 5 speed, gray interior, grooved hood, but I have been delving into the finer details of model year differences: Antenna location, single or two piece armrest extensions, grab handle integrated or strapped, etc.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

The only criteria that was non-negotiable when I bought my Delorean was also grey, 5-speed, non-flat hood (ended up being a grooved hood).
    The rest, don’t worry about. Decide what is a dealbreaker vs what is not, and get the best Delorean you can that meets that criteria. You’ll likely never end up with one if you have a giant list of combinations, as it makes the pool smaller and smaller.
    I’ve seen some moved to the rear vent antenna, but rarely.
    A better solution is a window mounted antenna, or really, it’s 2020; just go without.
    Mine had a fender antenna. I hated it. I put a smaller rubber antenna that was much less obtrusive in its place, and not too long ago removed that and have a black plastic plug in it’s place. I use a bluetooth speaker when I’m driving. If I ever find a metal plug, I’ll use that. When I have enough disposable income and tackled the other things higher on my to-do list I’ll get the hole permanently plugged.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

The speaker wires are easily split at the radio. However it's usually worth replacing the 40 year old speaker wire. To get to the rear wire means removing the console at the least, which is also antenna wire routing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I’m not aware of anyone who was moved their antenna. I’m sure it happens but it’s just not a priority it seems. I’ve got the windshield mounted antenna that works just fine, but I usually listen to music from my phone through my original radio that has been modified with Bluetooth. That being said, relocating the antenna would be easy compared to replacing fuel lines and other jobs that are way more important.

I agree with jackb in that you can’t be too picky, as it will not only narrow your pool of available cars but it will likely take you longer to purchase as well. You’re dealing with soon-to-be 40 year old cars. Overall condition should be your top requirement. Things like grooved hoods and non-integrated door pulls can be changed after the fact.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I did it. Had the hole in the fender welded up by Danny, ran the wires to the pontoon, bought the proper antenna and mount, and notched the vent for the antenna. It's not hard, it's just paying for the welding.

At the same time I installed the in-bumper back up alert system as most of that goes in the same part of the pontoon.

If you find the perfect car Except it has a fender mounted antenna, count yourself lucky. It's just the welding money and a Saturday of your time.
    Last edited by TTait; 03-25-2021 at 04:58 AM.