FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Shifter Plate (Automatic) Keeps Popping Up

My VIN:    2410

Shifter Plate (Automatic) Keeps Popping Up

I changed out the Center Console. When I put the long black strip under the plate and then shift the plate pops up. It was working fine before I removed the center console. If I put the shifter plate on without the black piece that covers the bottom, it's fine.

Any thoughts on whether I'm putting the piece on wrong or maybe something else is not lined up write on the console?

I've tried flipping the black strip over and that didn't help. I took some pictures before I removed it and I have it on the same way.

Thanks!!!

My VIN:    03572

The front of the plate is held down by the AC plastic face. The back is held down by two screws that screw into clips on the "U" metal plate. Do you mean the sides are popping up?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The front of the plate is held down by the AC plastic face. The back is held down by two screws that screw into clips on the "U" metal plate. Do you mean the sides are popping up?
    Yes the whole plate pops off when I shift. I don't have the screwing over the plate. Here is what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by tony32408 View Post
    Yes the whole plate pops off when I shift. I don't have the screwing over the plate. Here is what it looks like.
    Photo attached.
    Attached Images

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I think the last time I had that happen the slide plate(the black insert that keeps you from seeing the shift gate internals) wasn't properly seated in the tracks. When I shifted, the plate didn't ride the tracks and pushed down forcing the cover loose.
    Last edited by Michael; 10-11-2020 at 05:09 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Make sure the plastic strip in in the track, also make sure you didn't turn it around, it is not symmetrical. It is longer one way than the other.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3937

Mine does the same thing and it's only been since putting on that same stainless part you have there. I think it's because the stainless cover doesn't clip solidly into the piece below, or one or more of the clips are broken away.

The interference I get on mine is from that black, thin strip coming into contact with (what I think) are the wires going into the window switches. The strip has an arch to it and should be bending it's way under those wires when you move it down from Park. When it hits whatever is in the way, it forces it up and that's when the cover tries to pop up. It happens to a lesser degree going back up into Park.

There are subtle grooves underneath the plate in that white plastic piece that this strip should ride in. It's a challenge to get it all back together and keep it in those grooves though. I would see if you can make sure the window switch wires are out of the way as much as they can be moved and that might help.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior