FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Louvre Struts Montage

My VIN:    scedt26txbd006864

Louvre Struts Montage

Hi All,

I have a newbie question. I have bought 6864 from steve6864 and it already took me some time to work on my car and already did a lot that I will put into the category of what I have done for my D today in the near future. Meanwhile I have a question regarding mounting of the louvre struts. Unfortunately the previous louvre was not a good shape so I bought a new one from store.delorean.com (along with a lot of other parts for ~2k and 0,5k from John Harvey R.I.P) and now I have a problem on how the struts should be mounted.
    I have found my mounting struts holders are not in their place on the side body panels. See photo.

Questions:
    1. How those are fitted? Are those only mounted with some screws/bolts (see photo marked 1) or they are also welded to the body somehow (see photo marked 2 – looks like cut )
    2. Can I have a kind ask to point me to any workshop manual or forum guide (couldn’t find one) ?
    3. Any photos of how it is mounted in your D are more than appreciated (many, many thanks)
    4. Do you know how the Grills ( see photo marked 3) should be mounted to the louvre ?

Many thanks
    Tadeusz, shortly Tad
    louvre_strout_mntg.jpg

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Interesting problems you ask about.

Here is where you can see the diagram of the rear louver with the louver panel grilles.

https://store.delorean.com/c-311-8-4...ver-upper.aspx

It does not list the foam tape which is used to attach the grilles. See photo showing part of the attachment:

The foam tape is black elastomer foam with double-side adhesive or weatherstrip adhesive, 1.5-2.0mm thick. 2 strips for each grille seen along only the 2 long sides of each grille. I have never removed them.

About the strut mount brackets, our early-VIN car has 2 blind rivets for each bracket. See next photo. It looks like yours bracket has just one mounting hole.

Can someone with a later car explain later mounts?

March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Mine appear spot welded to the quarter. Yours (OP) look like they have been cut off.

Thanks Rich and JohnnyK. Appreciate the help and photos.

@Rich i see the support buffer had to be adjusted at the point of montage.
    @JohnnyK - in my case it looks like this was cut, unfortunately.

Thanks again
    Tad.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hard to get good photos but this is what the bottom is supposed to look like, yours seem to be missing this tab that is welded to the quarter. Sorry if these are rotated the wrong way. I would imagine you can drill and rivet these in if you can somehow find replacements, probably from damaged beyond repair rear quarter panels.

002.jpg
    001.jpg
    Last edited by dn010; 10-14-2020 at 09:18 AM.
    -----Dan B.

Thanks Dan B. Indeed, it's not easy to get there to take a picture, the more I appreciate the effort. Your photos dispel doubts.

It cheers me up to know that there is such a community where there are people ready to help with such small but very unique things.

Thanks Guys

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Technical manuals?

Our new owner Tadeusz also asks for technical manuals. "2. Can I have a kind ask to point me to any workshop manual or forum guide (couldn’t find one) ?"

3 related manual/technical DMCTalk links are listed below:

1. The DeLorean Owner's Handbook can be downloaded from a link in this thread.

2. The Technical Manual (thin overview of the car), the Workshop Manual (thick and detailed), the Factory Service Bulletins and are all here. Check all of the posts in that thread.

3. These threads and more such resources are found on this forum in the Resources section of the General Discussion topic.

4. Finally, there is a useful How-To section also in Resources.

For the Forum Guide try this section.

PS, welcome to DeLorean ownership!
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Thanks for the warm welcome and the important hints Rich. Hope will be able to share some stories with photos of what i have done to my D today or just describe the things i have worked on.

Thanks