FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1264 goes EFI

My VIN:    2706

Looking good !

My VIN:    16185

Looking like a long journey but will sure pay off when complete!

My VIN:    05457

You've made some impressive progress! Great job cleaning things up! What a big project, but it seems to be coming along very nicely. Looks like you are well on your way to having your wiring properly organized as well!
    David Proehl

Spent a couple of hours working on the EFI install today.
    Continued endless wiring cleanup. Installed battery and fired up Tuner Studio, now able to run F.P. with the computer. Drained fuel tank, replaced fuel filter and finished all fuel lines and leak checked. Nice to have the fuel delivery and return completed.

Used Tuner Studio to test each coil and connect spark plug wires, nice hot spark at 0 RPM😃. Also tested each injector, all six can be pulsed individually. Next step, base timing, unfortunately my Amazon order for a timing light has been delayed.

Maybe it will fire up this week, or at least I will know what to troubleshoot next.

The ability to fire individual injectors , coils , test fuel pressure..turn the entire fuel system off with click of a button. All those little tricks is what makes efi so awesome.

It Runs

Been working through some issues with the optical pickup for the Megasquirt Tach in Signal, I found that the Banner optical module will not operate below 10 volts. The electrical bus was dropping down to 9.6 volts when cranking, this would shutdown the optical sensor.

So new battery and extended battery posts that allow for a terminal mounted direct from battery to EFI relay and I have about 11 volts when cranking. Still have some cleanup but it starts easily now and idles fantastic.

Thanks again to Jimmy for his help when I had questions!

Now to set up the time machine and leave 2020 for ever....F498F364-A297-488A-A9AE-634EF6983FE4.jpg

Great news ! Another EFI Delorean!

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by D001264 View Post
    Been working through some issues with the optical pickup for the Megasquirt Tach in Signal, I found that the Banner optical module will not operate below 10 volts. The electrical bus was dropping down to 9.6 volts when cranking, this would shutdown the optical sensor.

So new battery and extended battery posts that allow for a terminal mounted direct from battery to EFI relay and I have about 11 volts when cranking. Still have some cleanup but it starts easily now and idles fantastic.

Thanks again to Jimmy for his help when I had questions!

Now to set up the time machine and leave 2020 for ever....F498F364-A297-488A-A9AE-634EF6983FE4.jpg
    You make it sound easy, but this kind of stuff is very hard to diagnose. Great work. Nice to see Jimmy's setup live on in very capable hands.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Yes Josh,

Good times tracking this down with the Delorean's decrepit wiring harness, but heh good reason to pick up a USB Oscilloscope. Made tracking the voltage losses through the harness a little less painful during the cranking events.

Next up I plan on tackling the relay panel with something a little more modern and less corroded. The adventure continuous...

Cooling Fans - Independent Operation

When I tackle the relay deck, giving some consideration to controlling the cooling fans from the Megasquirt ECU. This would make it pretty simple to stage the turn on, as an example turn 1 fan on at 190 degrees and the second fan at 200 degrees. Both fans on with the AC active. Guessing someone else on this forum has been down this road, open for any thoughts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast