FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Ignition Switch or Starter?

My VIN:    5999

Ignition Switch or Starter?

I seem to have an issue brewing with my starting system. It hasn't left me stranded yet, but it's happening with more frequency. It's sounds like my starter stays engaged a good 5 to 10 seconds longer than when I release the key in the ignition switch. I can hear a spinning or whirring sound when it's happening. Could it be that my (original) starter teeth are getting stuck on the gear? Or that my ignition switch electrical contacts are getting worn out? Any suggestions are much appreciated, don't want to replace the starter if not necessary.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Unlikely to be ignition switch, so long as the springs back to the run position. Most likely starter solenoid or bendix is just not releasing. High spin light weight replacement starter are relatively inexpensive.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Yes, it's probably the Bendix drive keeping the pinion gear on the flywheel ring after the engine fires instead of retracting it. There can be a few reasons for that, not all of which call for tossing the starter. For a drive-release fix the starter does need to come out.

Read this thread before you get too far into it.

Post #1 looks like what you're reporting.

Posts #5 and #7 cover two of the issues. When you put the starter back in be sure the centering ring is still where it belongs.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior