FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Car stalls when driving

Car stalls when driving

Hello everyone,

When I drive my car it runs fine. But I am having some issues of it stalling when I slow
    down or come to a stop. For example if I am driving and need to slow down for a stop light I'll push the clutch in and start breaking, at that point the RPM's lower and the car stalls. Another example is if I'm on the highway and need to slow down for a exit, I'll push the clutch in and when the rpms lower and the car stalls. So basically whenever I'm driving and take my foot off the gas pedal, and push the clutch in, with my foot off the gas it sometimes stalls.
    More often than not. I can sit parked in the driveway and rev it up and when it idles down it will not stall. The problem only seems to happen when I'm moving. Any possibilities to look at?
    Thanks
    Corey

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

The first thing I would check is for loose vacuum lines, especially around the idle air valve on the back side of the rocker cover. After that check the idle system usual suspects (micro switch, idle computer fried, etc.).

Don't dismiss the possibility of getting some contaminated gas.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

There could also be a problem with the baffle in your fuel tank. Does is still happen when the tank is more than 2/3 full?

air leak / vakuum leak

Thank you for the reply's. I will check for broken vacuum hoses. Is the easy way to spray starter fluid around them or just visual inspection? Good point about the baffle in the fuel tank. I am about to replace the rubber boot on top of the tank. What exactly should I look for while I'm in there?
    Thanks for your time!
    Corey

My car did the same thing when my mixture was set incorrectly.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by coreydmc View Post
    Thank you for the reply's. I will check for broken vacuum hoses. Is the easy way to spray starter fluid around them or just visual inspection? Good point about the baffle in the fuel tank. I am about to replace the rubber boot on top of the tank. What exactly should I look for while I'm in there?
    Thanks for your time!
    Corey
    No I would not spray starter fluid on top of a running engine. If the leak is large enough to cause the engine to stall, the leak should be visually obvious(assuming it is a vacuum leak).