FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Craig Radio wiring connector question

My VIN:    1325

Craig Radio wiring connector question

I have a question about reconnecting the craig radio in my car, specifically what is the sole red (pink?) wire for?

From what I've been able to deduce through searching it might be for the power antenna, which my car doesn't have. Does it go unused if I have a windshield antenna??

PO had a modern CD player installed which i'm removing and don't have a clear reference.

Photo (not my radio) highlighting which wire I'm talking about

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Without checking my notes, I believe it IS for the power antennae. Easy to check. When you power on the radio that wire should provide + 12Volts to close the relay for the power antennae (if you have one). If you don't have a power antennae, you just tape it up out of the way. The windscreen antennae is notoriously inefficient. Only good near a strong signal because the antennae is horizontally polarized and the radio signals are vertically polarized. Early on DMC realized how poor the reception was so they quickly went to the fender mounted mast type antennae in the front/right fender. It was a good idea but the windscreen antennae didn't work. It was meant to reduce the problems people had when they went to car washes and got the antennas damaged. If you do have a windscreen antennae be aware that you can no longer get a replacement windscreen with one in it.
    David Teitelbaum