FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Storage

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Storage

Essentially long term storage. Without properly preparing the car for storage it makes it much more work to "wake" it up when you are ready to use it. Start with the battery. Remove it, clean it, fully charge it and test it. If it is over 5 years old, replace it when you wake the car up. Fuel. Removing it completely is the best option. The other choice is to add fuel stabilizer but that has it's disadvantages. It makes the fuel less volatile so it doesn't deteriorate as quickly but it still deteriorates. For long term storage it is not good. For up to about a year (depending on ambient conditions) it is OK. The car will run like sh-t till you use it all up.
    Tires. Once they get to be over 7 years old they should be replaced
    Brake/clutch fluid. It MUST be flushed and changed every 2 years ESPECIALLY if the car is not used.
    Coolant. Tested for strength and PH every year and replaced every 5.
    Ideally the car should be stored inside in a garage where little critters cannot get in. It doesn't have to be heated, but that is a plus. The garage should have a concrete floor so moisture from the ground doesn't get under the car. The car should be covered. Don't stack stuff on the car and there should be nothing nearby that can fall on the car. Among the biggest causes of claims for classic car insurance is stuff falling on the car. If you use mothballs never put them IN the car, put them underneath. Keep the insurance going, at least the comp if not liability. Make sure the keys and paperwork are in a safe place. Best to have the car empty of all loose stuff and as clean as you can make it. Also best to fix it up as much as you can, that much less that will need to be done when you go to use it again. Do NOT run the car but it is OK to crank it over and turn the A/C compressor over by hand to move the seal. if you feel the need, change the motor oil, filter, and grease the car.
    If you do these recommendations the car should be easier to wake up. A battery, fresh fuel, air up the tires, and you should be able to drive it with a minimum of fuss. When I find cars that have been sitting for a long time the systems with fluids are the ones that fare the worst. The fuel system, brake/clutch systems, and cooling systems wind up having to be completely rebuilt. Next is rust because the car was outside followed by animal damage to the wiring and/or interior. Most cars in long term storage are never properly prepared because when they were parked the intention was only for a little while. That is why ANY car should be prepped for long term storage even if the plan is short term storage. Let's hope 2021 is a better year to enjoy our cars, we can prepare for that now. Since many of us are stuck at home it will give us something to do.
    Last edited by Tamir A.; 11-27-2020 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Removed first sentence due to the no political language rules of the forum.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Let's hope 2021 is a better year to enjoy our cars, we can prepare for that now. Since many of us are stuck at home it will give us something to do.
    Agreed and thanks for the post/reminders.
    Last edited by Bill6298; 11-26-2020 at 08:07 PM.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I got my post removed for using words like "Chinese flu". Just giving you a heads up.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I got my post removed for using words like "Chinese flu". Just giving you a heads up.
    Yeah, off to a bad start.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

I did all of the above. I try to run the gas down as much as I can and add a little Stabil, slightly over inflate the tires, change the oil, run it one last time to get new oil flowing, and remove the battery and put it on a "maintainer" for Winter. I also cover the car and usually put an open box of baking soda inside. This has worked pretty well each Winter. You just reminded me it's been just over two years since coolant, clutch, and brake fluids were done. That, along with 30K service, new alternator, and other misc. things at DMC are planned for Spring/Summer. Then it's "done". See you all next year hopefully in person at some event.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    By that thought then this post should be removed for saying "Irish DeLorean".
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Since when is it a political statement to talk about a disease? Does anyone remember the Hong Kong Flu? They used to name flue after where it originated. I didn't even realize I was making a political statement. It's a shame we have to make this forum so politically correct because one person posted that he didn't like it. I say if you read something that offends you, don't read it. Everyone should not be censored because one person has a problem.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Since when is it a political statement to talk about a disease? Does anyone remember the Hong Kong Flu? They used to name flue after where it originated. I didn't even realize I was making a political statement. It's a shame we have to make this forum so politically correct because one person posted that he didn't like it. I say if you read something that offends you, don't read it. Everyone should not be censored because one person has a problem.
    Previously just a mere "delorean guru", Dave is now a "life guru". He offers sub-par advice in both cases.
    If this offends you, do not read it.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Previously just a mere "delorean guru", Dave is now a "life guru". He offers sub-par advice in both cases.
    If this offends you, do not read it.
    This is why this forum is not supposed to be "political".
    David Teitelbaum

One other thing I would add to this list, spray fogging oil into each cylinder. It will keep the cylinder walls lubricated to prevent any rust and to also provide some lubrication when you go to crank the engine after a long slumber.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast