FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No accessories when the car is running but do work key is first turned on

No accessories when the car is running but do work key is first turned on

When I turn the key to position one I get lights, windows, radio ect.. But went I turn key to position 2 to start the car. It starts up fine but I have no lights, windows, radio, brakes lights ect. But the car runs and drives great.

I know there are two large silver accessories relays. I bought one new one and swapped it in to each position and I still have the same issues.

I'm not sure what to look at next?

Jim

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It could be a bad contact in the ignition switch. You have to trace why there is no power to the accessory relay in position 2. Start at the plug by the column from the ignition switch.
    David Teitelbaum

Thats a great idea! I bet that's what it is. I'll try tomorrow.

Thanks

Jim

My VIN:    03572

Someone messed up the wiring on the AUX relays. Make sure the large white/blue wire is paired with the small white/blue wire. The other aux relay the wires are both white.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I confirmed relay for the accessories has a blue / white wire going to it. Looking at the wiring diagram it shows a blue /white wire coming off the ignition. But off my ignition is an Orange /White wire?

What I'm I missing?
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I confirmed relay for the accessories has a blue / white wire going to it. Looking at the wiring diagram it shows a blue /white wire coming off the ignition. But off my ignition is an Orange /White wire?

What I'm I missing?
    You did confirm the white/blue wire is the small gauge wire feeding the AUX relay with the large white/blue wire? I've not heard of any owners seeing that white/orange wire before.
    Dave M vin 03572

What I'm I missing?
    About the only White/Orange wire I can find in the DeLorean schematic is for the oil sender. Your key photo shows white/orange where the white/blue should be. And you say it's a white/blue wire at the accessory relay coil. So where does the white/orange go? Does it connect to the white/blue at some point and eventually get to the relay? How about a continuity check with meter between the white/orange at the switch and the white/blue at the relay?

Ron

When I turn the key to position one I get lights, windows, radio ect.. But went I turn key to position 2 to start the car. It starts up fine but I have no lights, windows, radio, brakes lights ect. But the car runs and drives great.

I know there are two large silver accessories relays. I bought one new one and swapped it in to each position and I still have the same issues.

I'm not sure what to look at next?

Jim
    Brake Lights have a live fuse. They should work regardless of the ignition switch position, assuming the fuse is good. Likewise for the headlights. However, the Radio, windows, rear window heater, clock, center console lights, AC switch all go thru the accessories relay and would drop out when engine cranks but come back when starter switch returns to run position. The only common denominator for all these items is the where they all connect to the main power source. You should always have power on the brown wire at the accessory relay. The brown wire should also have power at the high beam and low beam relays (headlight fuses after the relays), and the stop lamp switch feeding the brake lights should have power assuming the brake fuse is OK.

Check these items to see if they are getting +12. Perhaps there's an issue where they all connect for +12 power.

Ron
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 12-01-2020 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Brake Lights have a live fuse. They should work regardless of the ignition switch position, assuming the fuse is good.Ron
    I think the later VIN cars the brake lights only work with key on. Those are the cars that use the fuse in the fuse block.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I think the later VIN cars the brake lights only work with key on. Those are the cars that use the fuse in the fuse block.
    My car is an 83 (16505) with fuse 18. Brake lights work with no key in ignition. From a safety standpoint, I like that they do. Jim's car might have the brakes go thru the aux relay. But I still would wonder why the headlights are involved. Just thought it prudent to check the +12 on some of these items not working. Kind of an odd assortment of failures.

Ron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast