FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Changing caster angle

Club(s):   (DMA)

Changing caster angle

If one wanted to increase caster on the front suspension in order to increase the self-centering of the steering, could it not be done by remounting the upper ball joint slightly more to the rear on the upper control arm? Hypothetically speaking.

Delorean Guru

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

While it may increase the centering, it will take more effort to steer the car, a car that does not have power steering. All of the specs for the suspension are a compromise. It may be easier to put offset bushings in the upper control arm where it connects to the frame. First I would check to make sure the alignment is correct for the stock specs before I would mess around. At least then you would have a baseline of how the car is supposed to be before you modify it.
    David Teitelbaum

Someone is paying attention

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    While it may increase the centering, it will take more effort to steer the car, a car that does not have power steering. All of the specs for the suspension are a compromise. It may be easier to put offset bushings in the upper control arm where it connects to the frame. First I would check to make sure the alignment is correct for the stock specs before I would mess around. At least then you would have a baseline of how the car is supposed to be before you modify it.
    That was quick! yes the car does have power steering,so effort is not an issue. It's the electric Deu setup from before DMC was selling them. It would be nice to be able to adjust the assist but there doesn't appear to be a way to do so. A car with p/s could stand for some more centering force since the p/s does make the steering a little light at center. I'm inclined to leave it alone, but just looking for ideas if I wanted to go that route.

I'm not sure what you mean by an offset bushing. The UCA needs to move rearward so I would have thought washers between the rear bushing and the frame would move it back, but something would have to give at the forward busing. (grinding? ) My first WAG would be it only needs to move back about 1/8 inch.

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I would recommend making a custom upper control arm to achieve this. not possible with the factory A arm.

caster adjuster

Quote Originally Posted by mark w View Post
    I would recommend making a custom upper control arm to achieve this. not possible with the factory A arm.
    Making a custom UCA could mean anything. What do you suggest it's function would be, to move the ball joint mounting around, or threaded arms instead of a rigid UCA that would move the outer apex of the arm around?
    I appreciate the suggestions.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (ADOA)

I made a custom UCA. It allows for camber and caster adjustment. I am running 5.5deg of caster now. Its a little nicer on the highway but no major change.
    I did it mostly because my cross caster was 2.5 deg, I wanted to fix that.

I have about 14,000kms on these UCAs from this summer, I feel they are sufficiently tested.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    LS Swap Parts:
    http://lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    05257

Any way to correct the camber on the stock DeLorean? Mine has difference between left and right. And do I understand it correctly, lowering the car will move the camber toward positiv? I would like to go more negative at the front. Thanks!

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9T mit Tapatalk

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Any way to correct the camber on the stock DeLorean? Mine has difference between left and right. And do I understand it correctly, lowering the car will move the camber toward positiv? I would like to go more negative at the front. Thanks!

Camber is not adjustable on the stock Delorean suspension. However, some owners have come up with different mods that make the camber angle adjustable (such as the one two posts up). Lowering the car will make the camber angle more negative.
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (ADOA)

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post

literally the post above yours.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    LS Swap Parts:
    http://lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    05257

Thank you for your answers but I really mean stock DeLorean, without custom UCA. It is very strict in Germany with the historical car registration.
    Also, we did the the measurements with driver and without and noticed that the front left camber would switch from slightly negative to slightly positive. If it would have been other way around I would think about dropping the car slightly hoping the TÜV will not notice it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast