FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Changing caster angle

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (ADOA)

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Thank you for your answers but I really mean stock DeLorean, without custom UCA. It is very strict in Germany with the historical car registration.
    Also, we did the the measurements with driver and without and noticed that the front left camber would switch from slightly negative to slightly positive. If it would have been other way around I would think about dropping the car slightly hoping the TÜV will not notice it.

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9T mit Tapatalk
    To change the camber you will need to modify the control arms. Otherwise you can ONLY adjust toe, as the car was made from the factory.

This is the closest to stock with adjustable camber you can get this, a modified UCA.
    https://lamborfuckinghini.com/collec...n-front-camber

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    LS Swap Parts:
    http://lsdelorean.com

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Thank you for your answers but I really mean stock DeLorean, without custom UCA. It is very strict in Germany with the historical car registration.
    Also, we did the the measurements with driver and without and noticed that the front left camber would switch from slightly negative to slightly positive. If it would have been other way around I would think about dropping the car slightly hoping the TÜV will not notice it.

You can always use the OEM upper control arms from a Lotus Esprit. You will need a 7-degree-taper reamer to enlarge the bore in the steering knuckle, which takes very little time. New OEM Lotus upper ball joints are $15 and shared with several other cars.

After enlarging the bore, the control arm bolts up the same way as the DeLorean upper control arm and allows camber and caster adjustment via steel shims.

You can find new Lotus Esprit upper control arms for about $183 each.

My VIN:    05257

Sounds interesting, many thanks to both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    You can always use the OEM upper control arms from a Lotus Esprit. You will need a 7-degree-taper reamer to enlarge the bore in the steering knuckle, which takes very little time. New OEM Lotus upper ball joints are $15 and shared with several other cars.

After enlarging the bore, the control arm bolts up the same way as the DeLorean upper control arm and allows camber and caster adjustment via steel shims.

You can find new Lotus Esprit upper control arms for about $183 each.
    Has anyone done this? If its as good as you make it sound, seems like it should be more common.

I was never a fan of reaming out spindles. If you convert it to a more common taper there are much much more options available.

LS Swap Parts:

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

On my car the front suspension is modified to narrow the track, by 2" on each side. the shock is mounted higher, it comes up thru the body now, and is a coilover with 2.5" ID springs. the Upper A arm is custom made, with Rod ends that thread into the ends of the upper arm. threading them both into the arm, increases camber. threading only one in or out allows for caster adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Has anyone done this? If its as good as you make it sound, seems like it should be more common.

I was never a fan of reaming out spindles. If you convert it to a more common taper there are much much more options available.
    Yes, it's been done more than once. I'm as surprised as you are that it's not more common, but it could hardly be easier. It also allows you to use the Lotus knuckle if you want, which lets you use the 5-lug hub if you want new wheels. I already posted pics on Facebook. Didn't you see them?

What's wrong with reaming the steering knuckle? You're only enlarging the bore by about 1 mm. The DeLorean steering knuckle is already of a common taper: 7 degrees. There are only two common tapers, 7 degrees and 10 degrees. The difference is the ball stud is of a larger diameter on the Lotus.

Lastly, IMHO, everyone should own a 7 degree reamer because the engagement between the OEM DeLorean ball joints and OEM DeLorean steering knuckle is hardly ideal and can be improved substantially in a few minutes.

Ive measured out the balljoints before, they are not a 7deg taper. They are somewhere closer to 6deg.

LS Swap Parts:

My VIN:    03572

Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Ive measured out the balljoints before, they are not a 7deg taper. They are somewhere closer to 6deg.
    Please, if you think it's incorrect, do not rely on my claims. I make no guarantees or warranties. I am not selling a kit or parts based on my claims that this combination works. Proceed at your own risk. Have your suspension evaluated by a certified professional mechanic.

With all of that said, and strictly for academic purposes, see below. We can argue about whether the measurement is correct. What we should be able to agree on is a steering knuckle reamed to the wrong taper will not contact the ball joint completely, leaving the taper lock incomplete.

We can test the contact by marking the taper of this new DMCH ball joint with a Sharpie and lightly turning it in the steering knuckle that I've already reamed with a 7.15 degree taper. Pictures tell the story.

IMG_5383.jpg
    IMG_5384.jpg
    IMG_5385.jpg
    IMG_5386.jpg
    IMG_5387.jpg
    IMG_5389.jpg

Thanks for finally posting the pictures, after only alluding to them.

Perhaps you can sleep well tonight knowing you got your quips in today.

LS Swap Parts:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast