FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sto N Sho front license plate quick detach system

My VIN:    16362, 04463 (Former)

Sto N Sho front license plate quick detach system

A few months back I had my car fitted for a quick detach front license plate system made by Sto N' Sho as one of my friends from work also did this on the side with his family owned business. Like many others I had a state that required a front license plate and I met this requirement by buying one of these adapter plates from the vendors. After a few adjustments and fittings I was good to go with the first quick release front license plate system for a DeLorean. After 1000+ miles and 2+ months of ownership I'm really thinking that this is a product that more owners should consider. Its benefits of being quick detachable are however you see that serving you, in my case its great to be able to pull the plate off in all of a couple of seconds and clean behind it or just loose the thing in a jiffy if I'm storing the car in the garage and I don't want the front plate to conflict with the car cover.

For those that take their cars out to events than this can be considered a convenient accessory as well should you want to loose the front plate. No modification to the front fascia was required and and everything is quickly removable if desired. The kit leaves a small receiving bracket attached to the front of the fascia by a bolt that secures the inlet screen in place. The story I'm told was that at a SEMA car show a number of years ago, Stephen Wynne was in talk with my friends company about having this product made but failed to provide the measurements and input to get it made. As luck would have it I stepped in and provided the sample car for this.

If you're interested then check the product out at https://stonsho.com/front-license-pl...lorean-sns292/ and for 10% off on the purchase use the coupon code OUTATIME.

If a UK or EU plate is what you're after then email [email protected] as he has these available as well. The DeLorean Tech YouTube series is expected to have a video out detailing this in the near future as well. Images are available from the installation instructions from the website or here at https://store-try8i50ooe.mybigcommer...eLorean%20.pdf
    Attached Images

My VIN:    03572

Cool idea.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

As you can tell in one of the pictures I have screw holes in my front fascia from the original owner and how they went about securing their front plate. The quick release system has been helpful in some recent visits to body-shops as I'm shopping around for someone to repair the urethane. +1 for a quick detach system.

My VIN:    6125

I like this setup much more than the traditional bolt on plate brackets. I haven't run a front plate on my car since I got it, but if I had to I think this is what I'd go with.

As previously stated, DeloreanTech on YouTube covered this product: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PHz342X_Xg

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Really cool product.

My VIN:    16109

So far so good. I asked for a plate mount that sits a little lower so it lines up more with the black portion of the front bumper. I'll be getting that soon and will post photos.

My VIN:    16109

I received and installed the lightly lowered Sto N Sho license plate bracket yesterday and it aligns up more with the front bumper lines. Also running different hardware that offers more lower profile (and accomodates the clear cover I use). I wanted it as close to the bumper as possible without the possibility of any rubbing. I also installed a spacer between the bracket and the front spoiler because i am running the DPI rock screen which has a thicker connection tab than the stock unit. If you want a bracket that sits a little lower you can request that from them.

Summary of what I did and why:
    1) I had to install a spacer where the 3M tape goes to straighten out the plate because of the DPI rock screen which has thicker mounting tabs. The stock rock screen has thinner tabs so this won't affect most owners. If you have the DPI and don't space it the plate sorta faces upward.

2) I changed the mounting hardware to slightly longer, smaller screws and regular hex nuts that are also smaller. I had to do this to accommodate my clear plate cover. See photo showing the clearance — with this hardware and the lower position there is no chance of rubbing. It is also more lower profile than with the acorn nuts.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanTech View Post
    [snip]

I wanted it as close to the bumper as possible without the possibility of any rubbing.

See photo showing the clearance — with this hardware and the lower position there is no chance of rubbing.

2.jpg
    If the plate mount metal is any kind of spring steel, I wonder if highway speeds will produce enough wind resistance to push those nuts back against the bumper, and thus rubbing?

Last edited by Citizen; 12-06-2021 at 07:18 AM.
    Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    If the plate mount metal is any kind of spring steel, I wonder if highway speeds will produce enough wind resistance to push those nuts back against the bumper, and thus rubbing?

I would just put some foam with the adhesive on the back of it.

Dave B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast