FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Review - Hankook Kinergy ST tires in factory front/rear sizes

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    My son's in the tire manufacturing business (Michelin) and apparently that textured sidewall pattern that looks "flat" was a difficult development and is currently the "hot" thing in tire design. So they are all doing it.
    Interesting to learn more about what's trending in terms of design. I've noticed the textured look has become more popular in the past 5 years or so, at least on passenger/light truck tires.

I'd be curious to know his thoughts on people who sand their side walls completely smooth, like this:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ewalls.378955/

My VIN:    02378 & 15500 - Previous owner of 4363, 5319, 5692, 10246, 01924, 04389, 03133, 11408, 10989

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Sold!

I will put a set on next spring.
    Better get these soon. I attempted to order from Discount Tire, Firestone, and Tire Discounters and none were able to get any. I ended up ordering from TireRack and having them put on. The rears are now hard to find.

Kirk
    Kirk

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean02378 View Post
    Better get these soon. I attempted to order from Discount Tire, Firestone, and Tire Discounters and none were able to get any. I ended up ordering from TireRack and having them put on. The rears are now hard to find.

Kirk
    Thanks for the heads up. I went to Tire Rack and placed an order. My tires have plenty of tread (approx 10k miles) but are about 7 or 8 years old.

PS: I suspect that an addition to the DMC owners buying them up(sarcastic voice on: after all there are 6,000 cars out there), several vendors are also placing bulk orders. If you plan to do tires in the next year, it might be a good idea to buy them now and sit on them until you are ready. Then again, I can't see any manufacturer going through the expense of designing a tire and building the molds only to discontinue them because they sold out so fast.

I just want to have a set locked and loaded incase the +++country name redacted+++ virus shuts everything down again.
    Last edited by Michael; 12-04-2020 at 03:39 PM.

I just want to have a set locked and loaded incase the +++country name redacted+++ virus shuts everything down again.
    Today, 03:59 PM

You mean the Wuhan or the Chinese Virus?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean02378 View Post
    The following fact may have something to do with the rears being in short supply just now:

The rears are made only in Indonesia. So if recent 235/60-15 factory shipments are sold out it may take a while to restock them stateside. All the other Kinergy ST tire sizes are made in USA (Tennessee).

Perhaps less of a factor: We may be competing for the rear tires with owners of Lotus Esprits up through '89 models. No surprise there. I've met early-series Esprit owners who mention OE tire availability headaches like ours.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The following fact may have something to do with the rears being in short supply just now:

The rears are made only in Indonesia. So if recent 235/60-15 factory shipments are sold out it may take a while to restock them stateside. All the other Kinergy ST tire sizes are made in USA (Tennessee).

Perhaps less of a factor: We may be competing for the rear tires with owners of Lotus Esprits up through '89 models. No surprise there. I've met early-series Esprit owners who mention OE tire availability headaches like ours.
    So is a 235 60 15 just a hard size to find in general?

Edit. I checked and seems like they are not hard to find. I guess the s1 -3 Esprits have a staggered setup too?
    Last edited by Michael; 12-04-2020 at 05:43 PM.

My VIN:    10644

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Today, 03:59 PM

You mean the Wuhan or the Chinese Virus?
    Come on guys, don't do this. Here's some good info on why: https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/23074/
    Christian Williams, Bay Area
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    Come on guys, don't do this. Here's some good info on why: https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/23074/
    We are talking about tires here. Please take your lame ass politics elsewhere.
    Last edited by Michael; 12-04-2020 at 06:34 PM.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    So is a 235 60 15 just a hard size to find in general?

Edit. I checked and seems like they are not hard to find. I guess the s1 -3 Esprits have a staggered setup too?
    A. Yes, several tire models come in 235/60-15 size. That's not the problem. The problem is that for the past 7-8 years none of those tire models were available in 195/60-14 size for the fronts. Hankook Kinergy ST is currently the only solution for owners who want matching front-rear tires with same tread/sidewall/performance in OE size.

B. Early Esprits, not sure which series are the ones up to '89, do have staggered OE sizes. Same rears as our. Fronts are 195/60-15, though, not -14 like ours.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    A. Yes, several tire models come in 235/60-15 size. That's not the problem. The problem is that for the past 7-8 years none of those tire models were available in 195/60-14 size for the fronts. Hankook Kinergy ST is currently the only solution for owners who want matching front-rear tires with same tread/sidewall/performance in OE size.

B. Early Esprits, not sure which series are the ones up to '89, do have staggered OE sizes. Same rears as our. Fronts are 195/60-15, though, not -14 like ours.
    Yeah being an owner for nearly 12 years I am quite aware of our own tire problem. I just wasn't sure about the Lotus problem. I just assumed Lotus always used a square setup.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast