FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interesting tidbit about Deloreans

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Interesting tidbit about Deloreans

I have an interesting tidbit about Deloreans that I don't think I've ever shared about Delorean. I maintain the Delorean chronology where we are trying to list all the Deloreans made with the transmission types and interior colors. There are plenty of gaps where we are missing information. Starting around VIN 6907 through 10127 every 5th Delorean appears to be an automatic with very few exceptions. There are only three or exception which may be in error. Not sure what the planning or thought at the factory was on this. As more missing pieces are filled in, a better picture will emerge.

Another factoid that is is more widely know has to do with the VIN numbering. When we first started this project we wanted to verify that actual VIN numbers existed. Remaining paperwork from the factory has been scant. As time went on we have definitely verified or at least feel comfortable that there were cars produced from VIN 500 to VIN 7199. After 7199 the next VIN produced was VIN 10001 (we have no proof of a 10000). But there is a problem. As the 1982 cars were made, there was a dock strike and cars were piling up at the port waiting to be shipped to the US. The early '82s made it but many of the later 82's wouldn't be able to get to the US in a timely manner. When the dock strike was over, the folks at the factory realized that by the time the cars got to the US, it was going to be time for the '83 year models. So what they did was remove the '82 VIN plate and put on '83 VIN plate. They simply added 5,000 to the VIN number. So for some 10XXX VINs, they were renumbered to 15XXX and there are skips or gaps in them. Same for the 11XXX and 16XXX. So it's very helpful to have VIN plate in the 10XXX, 11XXX, 15XXX and 16XXX ranges because it confirms which ones were 82's and which ones are 83s. We have never had a case where, for example, there was a 11222 and a 16222.
    Shannon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

[QUOTE=lazabby;261254]I have an interesting tidbit about Deloreans that I don't think I've ever shared about Delorean. I maintain the Delorean chronology where we are trying to list all the Deloreans made with the transmission types and interior colors. There are plenty of gaps where we are missing information. Starting around VIN 6907 through 10127 every 5th Delorean appears to be an automatic with very few exceptions. There are only three or exception which may be in error. Not sure what the planning or thought at the factory was on this. As more missing pieces are filled in, a better picture will emerge.

That fits the general knowledge of about 20% of production being automatic and few early cars came automatic. My guess is that DMC realized the American market wanted some amount of automatics. It may also be the case that the initial shipments of engines and transmissions to DMC did not include many automatics or production just wasn't ready to do automatics in the beginning. They probably based the number of automatics to be produced based on how many automatic drivetrains they had in stock.
    David Teitelbaum

33% of the Deloreans were automatics overall.
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It may also be the case that the initial shipments of engines and transmissions to DMC did not include many automatics or production just wasn't ready to do automatics in the beginning. They probably based the number of automatics to be produced based on how many automatic drivetrains they had in stock.
    VIN 501, which DeLorean himself inspected along with some other key personnel, and then drove out of the factory doors to the awaiting press, was an automatic. So they had them early. Maybe not in great numbers, but they had them.

I have a copy of a document somewhere that basically spelled out the roughly 70/30 transmission split as being the minimum number of automatic transmissions they could purchase without breaking their agreement with Renault.

I’ve also noticed that transmissions were done in “runs” during several VIN blocks. 100 manual, then 100 auto, etc (not those exact numbers, but you get the idea).
    Last edited by CFI; 12-07-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Memo from RJ Donnell detailing both the black/grey split and the manual/auto split. Note that he gives projected numbers for the transmission split (67/33) so actually build numbers could have varied.

A6A29FFF-7828-485F-BB1E-17BE44C3543E.jpg

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    33% of the Deloreans were automatics overall.
    33.33333333333333333333333333333333333%

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Memo from RJ Donnell detailing both the black/grey split and the manual/auto split. Note that he gives projected numbers for the transmission split (67/33) so actually build numbers could have varied.

A6A29FFF-7828-485F-BB1E-17BE44C3543E.jpg
    Very interesting memo. The database shows that at the end of August the trim was in gray but starting in September it was black. Most of the production in September was black trim with a few gray scattered in there then starting in October it switched to gray with a few black trims scattered about.
    Shannon

My VIN:    16185

Hello. I currently own VIN 16185. This Delorean was a barn-find in Sacramento around two years ago so I don't believe the data resides in any lists.
    Let me know what information you are interested in.

My VIN:    16185

I guess it was more like a 'garage' find...

VIN16185.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ZLoftsgard View Post
    Hello. I currently own VIN 16185. This Delorean was a barn-find in Sacramento around two years ago so I don't believe the data resides in any lists.
    Let me know what information you are interested in.
    Perhaps you should try this thread: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...highlight=list

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast