FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi from NY

Hi from NY

I don't know if I'm in the correct forum but I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm originally from Belfast, Ireland and I worked at the DMC plant in Dunmurry from December 1980 until May 1982. I was part of the group that went to Irvine, California in 1981 and it was this trip that inspired me to emigrate to the USA in 1987. I'd be happy to discuss my experience with anyone who is interested.

My VIN:    4519

Hello, and welcome!

I think everyone here is interested to hear anything you have to share. There are other former employees in various Facebook groups as well. Barrie Wills is a frequent contributor.

What part of NY? I live ~60 miles North of Albany.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Welcome! Rich is correct - I'm sure everyone here is interested in you experiences at Dunmurry. I myself have quite the collection of photos from the plant including the gold cars.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Collie from Belfast View Post
    I don't know if I'm in the correct forum but I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm originally from Belfast, Ireland and I worked at the DMC plant in Dunmurry from December 1980 until May 1982. I was part of the group that went to Irvine, California in 1981 and it was this trip that inspired me to emigrate to the USA in 1987. I'd be happy to discuss my experience with anyone who is interested.
    Hello and welcome! I look forward to reading about your experiences. Do you happen to have any factory photos you can share with us?

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Welcome Collie, into this community.

We appreciate your reaching out. We have such a unique and rare opportunity in this community of ours, as owners, enthusiasts and "those that were there" to share our stories and experiences. Its awesome!

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Hi Collie and welcome to the forum.
    It's great to have you here, everyone will be happy and interested to read your story.
    If you have some old photos to share with us, this will be awesome!

My VIN:    Former owner of 10439 Currently own 06291

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Collie,

Where in NY do you live now?

Did you ever meet John D while working at the plant?

I might have missed it, but what did you do at the plant?

Thanks for sharing,

Adam
    Adam Brandt
    Former owner of 10439 Stage II
    Owner of 06291 DMCH rebuild, Stage II, Eibach, SS Frame

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Hi Collie. Thanks for posting. Please share stories and photos with us.
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by orangecrrrush View Post
    Collie,

Where in NY do you live now?

Did you ever meet John D while working at the plant?

Adam
    I live in Rockland County, NY. While employed at DMC I worked on the Trim Line. My first assignment was installing the center consul then they promoted me to Repair Man. I met Mr De Lorean more than once. For a CEO he was a very approachable man and was always interested in our input. This was in stark contrast to the British senior staff who were mainly aloof, taciturn and unfriendly. At aged eighteen I was one of the youngest employees. I was very happy working there and it was a terrible disappointment when the plant closed down. I have very few photographs or memorabilia. I wish I had taken some for posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Welcome! Rich is correct - I'm sure everyone here is interested in you experiences at Dunmurry. I myself have quite the collection of photos from the plant including the gold cars.
    I worked on a gold car once. It was a Saturday morning and they quietly brought me to an isolated part of the plant that I never knew existed. I was greeted by Tim O'Rourke, one of the senior American executives, and a number of British engineers from Lotus. They had an issue with the removal of the center consul, which I was able to resolve for them. In retrospect I believe it was as a result of this clandestine meeting that I was chosen to go to Irvine, California for two weeks in July 1981. The most memorable trip of my life and my inspiration to emigrate to the US in 1987. Incidentally, when I asked who the gold car was for one of the senior Belfast bosses winked at me and said it was for Rod Stewart. He also told me not to mention it to anyone and in true Belfast fashion I kept my mouth shut and never spoke of it until years later! I don't think Rod Stewart ever bought it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast