FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Directional lights come on with tail/side lights

Directional lights come on with tail/side lights

#2286 here. Can't figure out why the directional lights come on along with the tail/side lights when I push in the new headlight switch. Blows fuses #2 and #8. If I remove just one of the fuses the directional and the tail/side will light up on just one side. As mentioned light switch is new. Per the electrical diagram I see a blue wire runs from the light switch to the horn//di/dip push switch. This switch is also new. Any ideas on the cause of this problem? Thanks.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

How about a little history? Was it doing this before you changed the switches? Why did you change the switches? Did you touch any bulbs? In many cases weird problems like this are because you have the wrong type bulb somewhere (a single base bulb instead of a double base bulb for instance) or heavy corrosion in a bulb socket.
    David Teitelbaum

I'm with David, a little more context is required. What you're describing with the fuses is confounding. The first press of your new lighting switch should energize fuses 2 and 8 which serve the left and right side running lights respectively. That both fuses would blow when installed together while either fuse will function fine without the other is perplexing? The second press of your new lighting switch should send power to the horn/dip switch thru the blue wire. This power energizes the main beam relay or the dip beam relay depending on the position of the lever. When you say the turn signal is activated, is the amber turn segment on the taillights coming on with the running lights (first press of the light switch)? Can you provide additional description of what was changed and what happened when?

Ron

More info

VIN 2286 was a non-running, barn find, original car. So as I was going through it decided to upgrade/replace just about all the switches (engine, console, light, etc.) if they were working or not. Both the light switch and the dip switch had mechanical problems (stuck or broken), Wiring wasn't too bad and only replaced the front lights harness. Also replaced both tail light circuit boards with new boards from Dgo that can handle LED bulbs. Replaced all original bulbs with LED's from Dgo (including headlights) except the dash battery indicator bulb.

I just repeated the problem sequence on the car to better identify the fuse blowouts. Pressed the light switch half way and fuse #8 blew. Fuse #2 did not blow even after pressing the light switch fully in. Headlights did come on. Since fuse #2 did not blow the driver side front indicator light , rear tail light, front and rear side markers and the tail light were on. But also the yellow rear indicator light does come on.

I only mentioned the blue wire from the light switch to the dip switch because on the wiring diagram the dip switch appears as an intersection point for the directional and side marker lights. Do you think maybe the problem is with a LED bulb? If so, which ones should I begin to test? Appreciate your efforts in helping me.

My VIN:    3771

I'd say the easiest way to trigger your issue is to put P21W instead of P21/5W bulbs in both front turn signals and this is what I'd recommend checking first.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

When you do wholesale replacement it becomes difficult to find the problem. Could be a pinched wire before you even started. Now it appears to be a problem localized to the right side. Pull all of the right side bulbs and see if the fuse blows. Maybe you have a bad bulb.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

I had one side blow fuses and it turned out a screw in the center console shorted a wire on the right side. Try pulling the two screws on the shifter plate and see if your problem goes away.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16409

Did you install LED bulbs in the hazard or headlight switches themselves? If so that could be your problem. Remove those bulbs if present and test again.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Did you install LED bulbs in the hazard or headlight switches themselves? If so that could be your problem. Remove those bulbs if present and test again.
    This was my first thought as well because it happened to me. I was installing a bypass as well so it took me a little bit to track it down. If wires aren't in perfectly they will create a short. I did trim them first if anyone brings that up.

Dave B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 12-30-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Success!! The Dgo LED bulb kit I purchased had two alternative front indicator bulbs. Tried the other LED bulb and it also blew fuse #8. Put the original non-LED bulbs back in and the fuse did not blow. All lights working properly including the rear indicator lights which correctly do NOT light up when pressing the light switch. Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast