FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Car will not start - electrical maybe? Funny HVAC Panel light behavior...

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    well, does your starter relay click ?
    is your starter stuck ? (Hammer)
    are wires wires to the starter loose ? below the red rubber thing ? use a 13mm...

Multimeter and Schematic are also always helpful.
    Had already checked the wires to the starter - all right there.
    I’ll give it a whack and see where that gets me. I put in a new starter about 8 years ago, but I remember hearing some debate on the model I chose. I recall hearing a starter relay click (had panel open).
    I’ll start with a whack though!
    Thanks!
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It wouldn't be the wires to the starter, the "big" one is hot all the time (at least it is supposed to be). The little ones would not be able to dim the whole system without smoking. If the wack gets you going I would replace the starter. Possible the starter is stuck engaged to the flywheel and the wack will jar it loose. Could accomplish the same thing by pushing the car a little bit in gear. Should still hear the starter relay click even if the starter is stuck. Sometimes they will chatter.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It wouldn't be the wires to the starter, the "big" one is hot all the time (at least it is supposed to be). The little ones would not be able to dim the whole system without smoking. If the wack gets you going I would replace the starter. Possible the starter is stuck engaged to the flywheel and the wack will jar it loose. Could accomplish the same thing by pushing the car a little bit in gear. Should still hear the starter relay click even if the starter is stuck. Sometimes they will chatter.
    Tried both whacking the starter and pushing car a bit in gear. No luck.
    Relay clicks, so now I assume I should test power to the starter?
    Is there an easiest/recommended test point?

Also to double check - I had mentioned that I just finished cleaning up the harness from behind the HVAC/Radio back to the change tray area. Does this issue sound like it could be related to anything along that stretch of the harness? I am pretty confident in the work I did there (and everything was working just fine after completion for a few days), but want to see if I can rule that out.
    Last edited by kajcienski; 01-01-2021 at 01:38 PM.
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The test would be to make sure there is battery voltage to the starter relay before the turn the key and when you turn the key. Then you check the voltage at the connection between the starter and the starter relay. Based on your symptoms I would expect when you go to the "Start" position the battery voltage drops to zero. That would indicate that the starter motor is bad. Really doesn't matter if it is the starter relay or the starter itself. When you replace the starter it comes with a new solenoid.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3771

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    Relay clicks, so now I assume I should test power to the starter?
    Is there an easiest/recommended test point?
    I'd just take a piece of wire to briefly short the battery and control terminal on starter solenoid and see what will happen.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhye View Post
    I'd just take a piece of wire to briefly short the battery and control terminal on starter solenoid and see what will happen.
    +1 ...and if it doesn't turn over, I would jumper cable the battery (-) directly to the engine and try again. And if that doesn't work, pull the starter.

("It's always the grounds";-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2