FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Input Shaft Play Question

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you can "salvage" the hole and tap it you should be able to get a threaded insert into it. If necessary you can screw a set screw into it deep enough so that you can still use a standard bolt. You may have to use thread sealer on the set screw or the bolt to prevent any leaks. All is not lost, at least not yet. Worst case, you oversize the hole, tap it for an oversize bolt, cut it off flush, and then drill and tap the bolt to get yourself back to standard. No welding. To make sure you are centered you may have to attach the transmission and drill or centerpunch through it with a transfer punch to mark your hole.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Wow, this is a first for me. I've seen plenty of engines with bad rot in the valley, but never seen one leak through a bellhousing hole.

It's certainly possible that this might be able to be salvaged, but if you've got this problem here, it's likely you've got some other gems hiding throughout the engine. It would certainly be worth a thorough inspection.

Had you run this engine before?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Use sealer on the threads of this particular bellhousing bolt and you'll be fine. There are plenty of engines out there, especially old ones, that have bolts that go right into the water jacket.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Wow, this is a first for me. I've seen plenty of engines with bad rot in the valley, but never seen one leak through a bellhousing hole.

It's certainly possible that this might be able to be salvaged, but if you've got this problem here, it's likely you've got some other gems hiding throughout the engine. It would certainly be worth a thorough inspection.

I think he was drilling out a stuck bolt and went to deep.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post

This was self inflicted.

The heater pipe was leaking (probably for a very long time), and made it impossible to free up the top passenger side transmission bolt. Decided to drill it, and had it made until I made the dumbest mistake of my wrenching life by picking up the drill again and trying to "hog" the hole just a weeeeeeeeee bit more.

the hole in the block is not straight back but down and to the left. I believe my only play is to do the tap and time-sert with sealant. I think the time-sert will cover the hole.

That was a really bad day of wrenching.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I think he was drilling out a stuck bolt and went to deep.
    wasn't too far, it was angle of attack. I was trying to knock down a little more from the top side of the bolt hole and the bit tip was pointed down. Very stupid mistake

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Use sealer on the threads of this particular bellhousing bolt and you'll be fine. There are plenty of engines out there, especially old ones, that have bolts that go right into the water jacket.
    Definitely going to try that. It needs a tap anyway so I'll probably do a time-sert, sealer on those threads, and decide to use the correct bolt, or put a stud in that side with sealer.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Pressure test it before putting the transaxle back together.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Pressure test it before putting the transaxle back together.
    Absolutely

Thanks everyone for talking me through the problem.

I've brought in professional help on this one. He is going to finish the job of cleaning out the remaining bolt material with a die grinder, re-tap the hole (timesert as a backup), either put a set screw in behind the bolt or simply seal the transmission bolt with the same product he uses for head bolts that go into cooling passage by design.

I'm putting this story together as the most cringeworthy video in all of automotive YouTube.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast