FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Clutch job just turned into a major overhaul

Clutch job just turned into a major overhaul

https://youtu.be/q4TVESHGyVc

I have another block, any suggestions for performance upgrades while building up a new engine?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Smile Barrel

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

How does this even happen?

If I had a damaged block and still wanted to retain kjet, I would get a 3.0 and swap the heads and crankshaft over, front cover etc. So you would have a slight displacement increase and a newer engine.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    03572

There are some engines in other cars where they said to put a sealer on some bolts because they went into the water jacket. I would defiantly try a good sealer on the bolt. Make sure the bolt is very clean so the sealer sticks to the threads.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    There are some engines in other cars where they said to put a sealer on some bolts because they went into the water jacket. I would defiantly try a good sealer on the bolt. Make sure the bolt is very clean so the sealer sticks to the threads.
    The crankshaft bolts on my engine are like this. sealer on the top transmission bolt could work. Id put a stud in, just it would be difficult to install the transmission afterwards.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Thanks for all the tips. I think I'm going to attempt a timesert with red loctite, stud with red loctite, and maybe loosen the engine mounts to tilt the motor as far forward as possible to get the trans back in over the stud.

kicking myself for picking up that damn drill after I had it 99% of the way there.

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Quote Originally Posted by fmj78 View Post
    Thanks for all the tips. I think I'm going to attempt a timesert with red loctite, stud with red loctite, and maybe loosen the engine mounts to tilt the motor as far forward as possible to get the trans back in over the stud.

kicking myself for picking up that damn drill after I had it 99% of the way there.
    Bummer.

I'd recommend pulling the engine, and taking into a machine shop. They'll be able to make you a blind brass insert, or something similar. Personally, after building a few PRV engines, I can attest to the fact that the case material is super soft, and I suspect you may have a difficult time getting a Timesert centered properly, especially with the engine in the car.

Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Rode View Post
    Bummer.

I'd recommend pulling the engine, and taking into a machine shop. They'll be able to make you a blind brass insert, or something similar. Personally, after building a few PRV engines, I can attest to the fact that the case material is super soft, and I suspect you may have a difficult time getting a Timesert centered properly, especially with the engine in the car.

Best of luck to you!
    I had not thought of that. Excellent idea, thank you!

Thanks everyone for talking me through the problem.

I've brought in professional help on this one. He is going to finish the job of cleaning out the remaining bolt material with a die grinder, re-tap the hole (timesert as a backup), either put a set screw in behind the bolt or simply seal the transmission bolt with the same product he uses for head bolts that go into cooling passage by design.

I'm putting this story together as the most cringeworthy video in all of automotive YouTube.

Update

Thanks again for all the tech support. Not quite resolved but getting closer.

https://youtu.be/KK87nAushQw