FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Car Has Power but No Sound When Key Turned

My VIN:    2410

Car Has Power but No Sound When Key Turned

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot? The lights on all light up, including the dashboard. I tried to jump the car and that didn't change anything. When I turn the key, there is no sound at all.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Sounds like the starter (or starter solenoid) is bad or just stuck. When was the last time the car was used? Sometimes a solid whack to the starter with a hammer is all it takes to get it to work. If that doesn't work you may have to have to replace or rebuild the starter.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

I was there on that day. I will never forget the chill in the air and David, without even mentioning the tech manual, said to a troubled owner "Whack it with a hammer".

My VIN:    5312

Check the simple thing that 1) your starter is connected and getting power first.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by tony32408 View Post
    Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot? The lights on all light up, including the dashboard. I tried to jump the car and that didn't change anything. When I turn the key, there is no sound at all.
    Seriously, DT's comment aside(you should tap it with something non conductive like a wood post, you don't want to ground out the starter post) Look to see if the starter circuit breaker update has been done. The TSB was for vins prior to 2547 which yours falls under. (For anyone reading this don't assume you are safe just because your vin is higher).

Edit: I tried to find a file for the update but I am not having much luck. It's been so long since I did it to mine that I can't remember what I did.

Edit 2: Page 146 and 147. Sorry, best I could find.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...dymZRLFUIs-oAx
    Last edited by Michael; 01-09-2021 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks all. I'll try that. I drove it within a week of the problem. It did have to jump in in the previous two weeks, but it always turned over and after I drove it started fine. Not sure if that was connected to this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tony32408 View Post
    Thanks all. I'll try that. I drove it within a week of the problem. It did have to jump in in the previous two weeks, but it always turned over and after I drove it started fine. Not sure if that was connected to this issue.
    Get the battery fully charged and tested. Make sure all of the connections are clean and tight.
    David Teitelbaum

The car was completely dead today. I tried whacking the starter and then I gave it a jump. It started right up.

You have to figure out why the battery was dead. Could be a short, something staying on or the battery is just no good (or maybe several things). Once you have a fully charged battery you can try to figure things out. If you keep the car outside remember, a dead battery can freeze and once a battery gets frozen it is garbage.
    David Teitelbaum