FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Recommends 2021

Exhaust Recommends 2021

If you were going to replace your entire exhaust system from the block to the back, what product would you go with? What material studs would you use? and what anti-seize method would you go with?

asking for a friend ;

Stainless.

Sent from my AGORA XI using Tapatalk

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by frenchyozy View Post
    Stainless.

Sent from my AGORA XI using Tapatalk

Be careful what "stainless" exhaust you get. When I first replaced my exhaust, I went with the UK "stainless" version. It turned into a rusty heap. I contacted them with photos since it has a lifetime warranty and they basically told me I'm SOL. Nice, after spending over a grand on a stainless exhaust.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12...ust-Comparison

My second and current exhaust is DPI Spec I. I have had it for years now and have had zero problems. Since I am in Florida, I originally went with cat delete pipes. After every drive I noticed I smelled like exhaust so Josh was kind enough to swap out the delete pipes with catalytic converters and I can now enjoy arriving at my destination exhaust smell free.

I purchased a stud kit and exhaust gaskets from Rob Grady. I went with a stud for every hole around the exhaust ports (4 per) because in my experience with only using two per port, I'd end up with a leak. Removing the original studs may be a challenge however, I know when I had my original engine I broke a few trying to remove them. Luckily now I'm running a B280F engine and they all came right out without issue.

I used permatex anti-seize that is high temp.

I used copper nuts that came with the studs.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?16...nifold-Gaskets

You will get more suggestions on this but this is my experience. If I had to do it again, I'd still go with DPI's SPEC exhaust. It sounds great, looks great and it hasn't deteriorated like the UK's. I've had it for nearly 6 years now.

EDIT: As an added bonus, you can ditch the stock heat shield with DPI's exhaust since it has one built in.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    07164

Club(s):   (DCH)

"they basically told me I'm SOL"

Bummer dude... What does SOL mean ?

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by er1c View Post
    "they basically told me I'm SOL"

Bummer dude... What does SOL mean ?
    Shit outta luck.

I’ve had a DPI exhaust for about 9 years now, very happy with it. First cat-less, then added cats when I moved to a state requiring emissions.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    15275

Uk exhaust...

I have the stainless uk exhaust and it is great.. it has never rusted and has been on my car for about 10 yrs.. maybe you got a bad one somehow??????

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Maybe the salt air in Florida got it? Some alloys of S/S react badly to salt or Chlorine. Another thing that can wreak havoc with an exhaust system is lots of short trips. You never get the exhaust hot enough to vaporize all of the water and it sits in the pipes and eats them up. That's why you see tiny holes in mufflers, to let any water drain out.I haven't seen a lot of complaints about S/S exhausts corroding so it might be something particular to your car, the way you use it, how it is tuned, or it's environment.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Be careful what "stainless" exhaust you get. When I first replaced my exhaust, I went with the UK "stainless" version. It turned into a rusty heap. I contacted them with photos since it has a lifetime warranty and they basically told me I'm SOL. Nice, after spending over a grand on a stainless exhaust.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12...ust-Comparison

My second and current exhaust is DPI Spec I. I have had it for years now and have had zero problems. Since I am in Florida, I originally went with cat delete pipes. After every drive I noticed I smelled like exhaust so Josh was kind enough to swap out the delete pipes with catalytic converters and I can now enjoy arriving at my destination exhaust smell free.

I purchased a stud kit and exhaust gaskets from Rob Grady. I went with a stud for every hole around the exhaust ports (4 per) because in my experience with only using two per port, I'd end up with a leak. Removing the original studs may be a challenge however, I know when I had my original engine I broke a few trying to remove them. Luckily now I'm running a B280F engine and they all came right out without issue.

I used permatex anti-seize that is high temp.

I used copper nuts that came with the studs.

You will get more suggestions on this but this is my experience. If I had to do it again, I'd still go with DPI's SPEC exhaust. It sounds great, looks great and it hasn't deteriorated like the UK's. I've had it for nearly 6 years now.

EDIT: As an added bonus, you can ditch the stock heat shield with DPI's exhaust since it has one built in.
    Ohh is there any info out there on B280F swap? I'm thinking of a re-power when I do the frame repair job.

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Be careful what "stainless" exhaust you get. When I first

Worth noting, just for the sake of balance, that the 'UK' exhaust manufactured/stocked by DeLoreanGo in the UK is not the same as the original one which you mention above, I can't comment on quality of the current one, other than to say that having seen it in the flesh on numerous cars it looks very well made and is extremely popular.

I have one of the original 'UK' ones, now some 14 years old, and I drive my car in all weather over in the UK (and live by the sea incidentally) and it's still good and solid after that time so I'm very pleased with it.

I remember seeing photos of yours (or possibly someone else's) and it was really rusty, very odd.

J
    James Russell-Grant
    VIN# 5462 Grey Automatic, Purchased in January 2000
    www.printsolid.co.uk

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I should have clarified the exhaust in question was from stainless-exhaust.com over in the UK, not DeLoreanGo etc. This was back when there were only two choices: the UK exhaust from stainless-exhaust or DMCH's first release of its performance exhaust. I originally purchased DMCH's but had a change of heart when I opened up the box and saw the quality. I returned it and then went with stainless-exhaust because I thought it would hold up better than DMCH's coated steel exhaust. I don't know what happened to mine, I do believe it was just that I got a bad one since this was very early in production but the company could have still looked into it and helped me out, I guess that is what happens with some companies when you're thousands of miles away, it's just easier to tell you it's supposed to look like that and that's the end. It was probably mine that you saw, it just a heap of rust from end to end.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesrguk View Post
    Worth noting, just for the sake of balance, that the 'UK' exhaust manufactured/stocked by DeLoreanGo in the UK is not the same as the original one which you mention above, I can't comment on quality of the current one, other than to say that having seen it in the flesh on numerous cars it looks very well made and is extremely popular.

I have one of the original 'UK' ones, now some 14 years old, and I drive my car in all weather over in the UK (and live by the sea incidentally) and it's still good and solid after that time so I'm very pleased with it.

I remember seeing photos of yours (or possibly someone else's) and it was really rusty, very odd.

J

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Maybe the salt air in Florida got it?
    I did not live in Florida when the rust happened.
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast