FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Slipping gears

Slipping gears

Hi all

Slightly odd issue I was wondering if anyone else had. I have a new clutch and I notice that if I am going up a steep hill (like my driveway) and I give it some decent acceleration it feels like the gearbox is slipping a gog. It’s not the clutch as it is new and I know what a slipping clutch feels like. I haven’t seen this issue come up on any forums so thought I reach out. It’s a real noticeable knock. It’s not the engine all trans mounts as they have been checked as all fine. It really feels like a gearbox issue.

Thanks

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

If oil or grease got on the clutch disc, it would slip regardless if it is new or not.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    If oil or grease got on the clutch disc, it would slip regardless if it is new or not.
    Could a rear seal leak affect the clutch?

My VIN:    03572

Does the car stop moving up the hill? Not counting momentum.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    Could a rear seal leak affect the clutch?
    Typically the oil from a rear main seal leak just runs down the engine to the bellhousing and out but anything is possible. I had grease from a throwout bearing get on the clutch disc. I had gear oil get on the clutch disc because of an issue with the input shaft tube. I had a slave cylinder leak all over getting oil on the clutch disc. I'm on my 4th disc, 3 times replaced due to being oil/grease contaminated.

Are you experiencing any fluid dripping from that location?

If this just began after clutch work, I'd also be inspecting that the slave cylinder is operating correctly along with the fork.
    Last edited by dn010; 01-15-2021 at 04:31 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Does the car stop moving up the hill? Not counting momentum.
    No you just notice a subtle jerk and feel the knock.

Typically the oil from a rear main seal leak just runs down the engine to the bellhousing and out but anything is possible. I had grease from a throwout bearing get on the clutch disc. I had gear oil get on the clutch disc because of an issue with the input shaft tube. I had a slave cylinder leak all over getting oil on the clutch disc. I'm on my 4th disc, 3 times replaced due to being oil/grease contaminated.

Are you experiencing any fluid dripping from that location?

If this just began after clutch work, I'd also be inspecting that the slave cylinder is operating correctly along with the fork.
    Yes the rear seal had gone so had it replaced the bloody thing is still leaking. I’ve had slipping clutches in the past (not on this car) and they feel quite different. This is quite a noticeable quick knock just like the feeling when a chain slips on a cog

No it was happening before I replaced the clutch

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A slipping clutch would not "jerk", it would just slip. What you seem to be describing *could* be a missing tooth on a gear. If it happens in all gears it would be the differential. The very first thing would be to rule out the clutch. Lock the e-brake, Step hard on the service brake, slip it into 1st while revving up the motor. If you can't stall the motor, the clutch is not working right. Do this in an area where there is nothing in front of you. This does not sound like a leaky seal.
    David Teitelbaum