FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Low Oil Pressure

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Thanks Michael! Which pump would you suggest? there are different ones - DMCH, Delorean EU (Ed) and DeLoreanGo.
    I only have experience with the DMCH one as I put that one in my car about 6 or 7 years ago. No complaints with it.

If I had to buy one tomorrow, and considering what an important part it is, and somewhat of a job to replace, I would get the best and IMO DeLorean Performance sells the best. Maybe not the cheapest but the best.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    05257

Unhappy

Bad news. Inspected the crankshaft and it looks like although under the rod bearings all is OK, there is a uneven wear under the main bearings. This must have been the reason for low oil pressure. Not sure how may this have happened but looks like the engine was already reassembled (previous owner brought the car from DMCH in 2011). The car hasn't been driven much since then and has just over 40k miles on the (working) odometer.

I can't find the oversize main and bearings, are they not available? Otherwise I am in the market for the new or used crankshaft.

Edit: found this on US ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/29338044709...AAAOSws5Fd9pda
    .020 Main Bearing Set Volvo Peugeot Renault Dodge Delorean PRV B27 B28 V6

are these oversize (there are also .010 which the seller calls standard)? Would they fit DeLorean motor?

Appreciate help of the community. I am based in Germany. Thanks!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Bad news. Inspected the crankshaft and it looks like although under the rod bearings all is OK, there is a uneven wear under the main bearings. This must have been the reason for low oil pressure. Not sure how may this have happened but looks like the engine was already reassembled (previous owner brought the car from DMCH in 2011). The car hasn't been driven much since then and has just over 40k miles on the (working) odometer.

I can't find the oversize main and bearings, are they not available? Otherwise I am in the market for the new or used crankshaft.

Edit: found this on US ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/29338044709...AAAOSws5Fd9pda
    .020 Main Bearing Set Volvo Peugeot Renault Dodge Delorean PRV B27 B28 V6

are these oversize (there are also .010 which the seller calls standard)? Would they fit DeLorean motor?

Appreciate help of the community. I am based in Germany. Thanks!
    The bearings in the link are marked "0.50mm" on the outside -- They are ~0.020 in. undersized and what you would use if your crank was ground .020" to clean up any wear. The amount is always stamped on the crank (as is any rod bearing grind). Look on your crank (and bearings) for the markings. What you buy must match...Unless it needs grinding (where the machine shop should supply them or tell you what size).

I didn't see the .010 bearings, which would not be standard (usually marked "STD").

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    The bearings in the link are marked "0.50mm" on the outside -- They are ~0.020 in. undersized and what you would use if your crank was ground .020" to clean up any wear. The amount is always stamped on the crank (as is any rod bearing grind). Look on your crank (and bearings) for the markings. What you buy must match...Unless it needs grinding (where the machine shop should supply them or tell you what size).

I didn't see the .010 bearings, which would not be standard (usually marked "STD").
    Thanks Ron! The measured size of shaft is 70mm , so after repair I will need the 0,25mm or 0.010 inch bearings.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/29338044750...AAAOSwb4Vd9pV-
    IMG_20210430_191857.jpgIMG_20210430_192827.jpgIMG_20210430_191827.jpgIMG_20210430_192001.jpgIMG_20210430_192707.jpg

You've got it down now...Glad to help!

You've got it down now...Glad to help!
    I found a few stamps on the crankshaft... How are they marked if they were repaired already?.

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9T mit Tapatalk
    Last edited by Azar; 05-01-2021 at 04:28 AM.

The stamp should be the size, E.G. "010" in US, but some use markers (paint). They are usually on the flywheel flange or a counterweight. Beware A LOT are not marked and some may have only one journal ground!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you don't have the micrometers to actually measure the journals then just get your parts to a machine shop. They should know what to do and how to do it. IMHO the damage is the RESULT of the low oil pressure, not the cause.
    David Teitelbaum

The stamp should be the size, E.G. "010" in US, but some use markers (paint). They are usually on the flywheel flange or a counterweight. Beware A LOT are not marked and some may have only one journal ground!
    Thanks Ron, nothing like this on the flange and counterweights. There some numbers and letters though.
    I checked the documentation. Standard size is 70.062mm, which currently it is. Regrind should be 69.762mm, 0,3mm under. So we will take 0,25mm main bearings but they will do it with the crankshaft and the block to the exact measurements of the oversize bearings.
    There is big marking "R" still visible on one of the counterweights.
    Will replace the bearing with the SKF, too (made in China currently installed).

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you don't have the micrometers to actually measure the journals then just get your parts to a machine shop. They should know what to do and how to do it. IMHO the damage is the RESULT of the low oil pressure, not the cause.
    Thanks David, yes, I visited them yesterday, that what they said. Get 0,25mm main bearings and I should bring the the block and all required parts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast