FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: WTB - Driver Side Tail Light Lens / Assembly

My VIN:    3015

WTB - Driver Side Tail Light Lens / Assembly

Well I did the unspeakable this morning and cracked my driver side tail light lens. I don't see any available online. Does anyone have one they'd be willing to sell?

Jacob

Jacob,
    I too have been trying to track down a left taillight. They are rare.

However, take heart. If all you have is a crack, there may be ways to repair it. Depending on the damage, it may require sacrificing a right side lens for replacement segments. It also requires cutting away the backside of the lens housing to have enough room to work, but this can be reassembled after the repair. If the crack or damage is extensive, it would not be a candidate. Even with skilled technique, the repair will not be perfect, but when done well it can pass pretty close scrutiny. Send me a PM.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Jacob,
    I too have been trying to track down a left taillight. They are rare.

However, take heart. If all you have is a crack, there may be ways to repair it. Depending on the damage, it may require sacrificing a right side lens for replacement segments. It also requires cutting away the backside of the lens housing to have enough room to work, but this can be reassembled after the repair. If the crack or damage is extensive, it would not be a candidate. Even with skilled technique, the repair will not be perfect, but when done well it can pass pretty close scrutiny. Send me a PM.

Ron
    Thank you, Ron! I didn't think about using the right assembly to fix the left. One of my red segments was shattered in about 8 pieces. I collected them and managed to glue them back (after disassembling the housing). It's not perfect, but it works for the time being. I feel like an idiot for letting it happen. I was testing a tune on my ev conversion and rolled into something in my garage. Lesson learned (I hope).

While doing this - it felt like I was the old man from a christmas story, gluing the leg lamp back together ha!

63320617641__C6EC14C8-CA68-4A42-9283-72478362D983.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg
    Last edited by gotgraham; 01-24-2021 at 09:51 PM.

My VIN:    05457

If you are on Facebook you should follow this project. Brandon is working to 3D print replacement tail light assemblies and lenses: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DeLo...57389195427382

This may eventually be an option until they become available through traditional means.
    David Proehl

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    If you are on Facebook you should follow this project. Brandon is working to 3D print replacement tail light assemblies and lenses: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DeLo...57389195427382

This may eventually be an option until they become available through traditional means.

Joined! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post

I like the initiative, but I wonder what inspection stations are going to make of this? My car recently failed for having Toby’s 3rd brake light installed. I can’t imagine this light would pass a state inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    I like the initiative, but I wonder what inspection stations are going to make of this? My car recently failed for having Toby’s 3rd brake light installed. I can’t imagine this light would pass a state inspection.
    Wow, that's bizarre. Toby's 3rd brake light is a terrific safety enhancement. What state are you in?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    My car recently failed for having Toby’s 3rd brake light installed. I can’t imagine this light would pass a state inspection.
    Seriously? Sounds like another low lever government employee trying to find power.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Wow, that's bizarre. Toby's 3rd brake light is a terrific safety enhancement. What state are you in?
    VA. Apparently they are cracking down on aftermarket LED lights.