FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Door locks

Door locks

Hello, its been a while since I have been on. I have started back in on the car trying to get to some of the stuff I pushed down the road. First task I have started on is the door locks.. I pulled the driver door panels off, and when I try to activate the door locks with all the rods unhooked the rocker arm/ solenoid returns to the unlock condition every time. Could there be something in the passenger door causing this or could this be the door module?? I will be opening the passenger door to see if I can see anything. The interior lock button doesnt appear to do anything. Thanks in advance for any help.

My VIN:    03572

If your impact sensor is triggered it will unlock if you have the door lock ECU installed.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    If your impact sensor is triggered it will unlock if you have the door lock ECU installed.
    I am unfamiliar with the impact sensor and the ECU. I have not installed the ECU and not sure where to look. So if you could elaborate more that would be great. Would the impact sensor be the inertia switch?
    Last edited by northeast dmc; 02-14-2021 at 09:46 AM.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    I am unfamiliar with the impact sensor and the ECU. I have not installed the ECU and not sure where to look. So if you could elaborate more that would be great. Would the impact sensor be the inertia switch?
    Yes the inertia switch is what I mean. The door lock ECU is a black box (if stock) mounted on the relay compartment metal plate. It has a 9 pin connector on wires to that black box.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Well I was able to find the issue with the door locks, it was the passenger door front latch. Despite the door closing and latching, the front latch wasnt going far enough to allow the door locks to activate. Once I freed up the front latch they worked fine. I was able to get the exterior door lock hooked up and working. Tried the passenger door and it works good. The only minor issue is the piece that connects the locking rod to the key mechanism is missing one or two of the retaining parts. I havent seen any place to buy the plastic piece on its own. Thanks again for the input.KIMG1495.jpg
    Last edited by northeast dmc; 02-16-2021 at 08:26 AM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I have found that it is often difficult to properly adjust things because the grease in the latches has turned into the consistency of thick glue so that the latches don't move easily. Here is my order of doing door adjustments;
    Replace the door seals if they are torn, ripped, or hard
    Replace the struts if they won't hold the door open all the way
    If the door still won't stay all the way up with new struts, adjust the torsion bar (the doors should not bounce when you open then either) It is OK to have to push the door open that last few inches as long as they stay all the way up when you let go.
    Check for fit and gaps of the doors when they are closed. Adjust hinges if necessary (should not have to touch hinges unless someone already did) Lubricate the hinges.
    Remove both latches, clean old grease out and lubricate with new grease
    Adjust anchor pins so the latches hit evenly, enter the latch in the center, the head of the anchor bolt doesn't touch the door, and both get to 2nd locking position simultaneously.
    Do the internal door adjustments as per Service Bulletin
    If the solenoids don't work well replace or rewind them. If the Central Locking System doesn't work consistently clean the switches in the doors
    When properly adjusted the doors should NOT lock unless BOTH doors and ALL 4 latches are in 2nd locking position.
    Add a 10 Amp in-line fast blow fuse to the big red wire going to the door locking module and/or upgrade the door locking module

If you try to force the lock into the lock position and you have not gotten both latches into the 2nd locking position, you bend the rods inside the door and mess up all of your adjustments. That is how all of the troubles start and how the doors get stuck. You must take your time and get the doors to close easily and have both latches hit the 2nd locking position together consistently. Slamming the doors is only going to cause them to jam. Forcing the lock to lock is only going to cause the doors to jam. If you see this happening, fix it BEFORE a door jams.
    David Teitelbaum