FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hood release

Hood release

Hey guys,
    My hood has no triangle catch to lock it down. It looks easy enough to make or cheap to buy, but then I got to looking at the cable release. The cable goes into the body, but doesn't come out anywhere. I look on a parts drawing and it appears it should come out below the window on the driver's side. But the drawing doesn't really show where exactly it comes out. I DuckDuckGoed "Delorean interior" and got a thousand pics of the front of the interior. Not one shows where the release comes out. Could one of you guys post a pic or discribe in detail where it should be?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I believe it comes into the interior cabin firewall behind the center console and below the center vent box....way up in there.

Screenshot_20200229-180512_Gallery.jpg

Pay no attention to the other wires. The coat hanger wire is an older mod for emergencies if the hood cable ever snaps. The blue wire bundle goes to the cd changer.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-14-2021 at 05:27 PM.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

You're describing the engine cover latch and its release cable?

Look for the release T-handle on the driver side of the rear bulkhead. It's just above the left rear wheel "bump" and just below the rear window, as you suspected. Sometimes it is covered by a flap of the bulkhead carpeting where the release handle and cable are secured by a mounting bracket.

Here's the diagram you need.

DMCH sells the triangle catch for <$5. P/N 100597.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Hey guys,
    My hood has no triangle catch to lock it down. It looks easy enough to make or cheap to buy, but then I got to looking at the cable release. The cable goes into the body, but doesn't come out anywhere.....Not one shows where the release comes out. Could one of you guys post a pic or describe in detail where it should be?
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

When you mentioned a triangle latch I thought you meant the one for the engine cover. There is no triangle latch on the hood but there is a hood striker. P/N 106643.

The diagram for all the luggage compartment hardware is here.

The post by Michael about where the hood cable goes is correct, as you see in the diagram.

My hood has no triangle catch to lock it down. It looks easy enough to make or cheap to buy, but then I got to looking at the cable release. The cable goes into the body, but doesn't come out anywhere. I look on a parts drawing and it appears it should come out below the window on the driver's side. But the drawing doesn't really show where exactly it comes out.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

I am talking about the engine cover. I have the parts diagram, but it doesn't really show where it comes out inside the interior. I guess I need to pull the carpit back. I assume I have stock carpit. Is there no hole for it?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I am talking about the engine cover. I have the parts diagram, but it doesn't really show where it comes out inside the interior. I guess I need to pull the carpit back. I assume I have stock carpit. Is there no hole for it?
    There HAS to be a hole for it. Probably comes in behind the parcel shelf backboard carpet(vertical part of the board), or to the right of it. I would guess right above where the O2 sensor wire and idle computer harness enters the cabin but I doubt it bends too sharply from the T handle pull release location.

https://store.delorean.com/parts/fra...ine-cover.html
    Last edited by Michael; 02-14-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

CoverHandle.jpg

That end of the cable may have broken off...its part number 106804 (or #36 in the first link Rich posted above).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    There HAS to be a hole for it. Probably comes in behind the parcel shelf backboard carpet(vertical part of the board), or to the right of it. I would guess right above where the O2 sensor wire and idle computer harness enters the cabin but I doubt it bends too sharply from the T handle pull release location.

https://store.delorean.com/parts/fra...ine-cover.html
    That stuff comes in under the wood cover. I have that off right now. Where would the T-handle be mounted?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Ahh, I will look tomarrow. I looked all over there, but there must be at least a hole.

Thankyou.

My VIN:    3937

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast