FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: New Delorean bushings: size discrepancy

New Delorean bushings: size discrepancy

Hey all, got a question for you all. So after wrestling to get my old bushings out of my suspension(rear+front lower), I called in my local tech. They were able to get them all out, new front uppers, ball joints in the fronts, but we hit a snag on rear+front lower bushings: the newly supplied bushings from Delorean.com are not the same size. I am attaching images of the old ones and new ones on a caliper; you can see that they are not the same size; there's at least a 1mm differential. I spoke to Delorean, and they were very helpful, but they A) had never heard any issues with these, and B) didn't really have a solution. I'm a bit flummoxed as to how to go about this. To be clear, the bushings they got out were the front lowers; they are working on removing the rears now, but in theory, all 10 of those bushings are supposed to be the same. I held both in my hand, and put the new one against the stock front lower control arm......there is no way that bushing could fit in the recess. Has anyone else seen or heard of this issue? What are my options? Trying to remove the bushing from the outer "casing" seems like a fools errand. All ideas welcome here...

image2.jpgimage3.jpg

My VIN:    03572

Did you check if the old one has been bent out of round. Measure it at 90 degrees from the first measurement.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Some of these reproductions are pure garbage.
    It really sucks as the vendors will just say "you are the first to have this problem" or something like that.
    Multiple vendors may sell these parts but they only come from one manufacturer.

I have had those bushings fail on me as well, the inner portion released itself from the rubber.

The only sure thing is Poly bushings from superflex, but there is a compromise in ride quality.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
    Hey all, got a question for you all. So after wrestling to get my old bushings out of my suspension(rear+front lower), I called in my local tech. They were able to get them all out, new front uppers, ball joints in the fronts, but we hit a snag on rear+front lower bushings: the newly supplied bushings from Delorean.com are not the same size. I am attaching images of the old ones and new ones on a caliper; you can see that they are not the same size; there's at least a 1mm differential. I spoke to Delorean, and they were very helpful, but they A) had never heard any issues with these, and B) didn't really have a solution. I'm a bit flummoxed as to how to go about this. To be clear, the bushings they got out were the front lowers; they are working on removing the rears now, but in theory, all 10 of those bushings are supposed to be the same. I held both in my hand, and put the new one against the stock front lower control arm......there is no way that bushing could fit in the recess. Has anyone else seen or heard of this issue? What are my options? Trying to remove the bushing from the outer "casing" seems like a fools errand. All ideas welcome here...

image2.jpgimage3.jpg
    In the pic, it looks like the outer steel casing was removed from one bushing and not the other. Can you confirm? Are you sure that the outer bushing casing wasn't left in the front lower control arm?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    In the pic, it looks like the outer steel casing was removed from one bushing and not the other. Can you confirm? Are you sure that the outer bushing casing wasn't left in the front lower control arm?
    It looks like only 0.028" difference so I would think the casing is still there.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    It looks like only 0.028" difference so I would think the casing is still there.
    Wait a second, one of the vendors was selling lower control arms fitted with Honda bushings.

Can we see a photo of your lower control arm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If these bushings were from a 3rd party/knockoff/ebay vendor, I'd be suspicious, but they come from Delorean in TX. I sadly have the bushings and lower control arms with my shop, so I can't currently take pics or measure, but unless the casing has two parts that could separate from each other, the casings came out with the old bushings. Maybe when they get the bushings out of the rear arms, more information will show itself. I feel like we've gotta be missing something here, since many folks have reportedly done this job successfully, and I can find no mention of this issue...