FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 consecutive number VIN Deloreans for sale

My VIN:    10309

2 consecutive number VIN Deloreans for sale

Great buy for a collector with the money.

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/198...ign=2021-02-16

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

2 projects for someone. Paging DPI.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

While I am not doubting the seller claims at all, consecutive numbers on a DeLorean is not all that. I never quite understood the fascination with vin numbers as the car really carries no correlation between the vin plates and the rest of the vehicle. Even frame numbers are just a hand welded number plate and those are sometimes off sequence.

Rare find these days, yup, and the fact that both are super low mileage and consecutive is very cool but if they were not consecutive vins, I think the overall value would not be affected that much to a person who grasps DeLorean vins. To the car collector who has tons of money, who knows? Six figures would not be out of the question.

My VIN:    6125

The car with 14 miles has been stripped of quite a few parts and no longer has the original engine. This couldn't be a more perfect situation for DPI and one of their high end engine upgrades. Probably not so great for anyone else.

http://dmctalk.org/album.php?albumid...chmentid=65620

The other car with 1600 miles has some janky frame repairs...

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Those aren't "janky frame repairs." That is how the early frames were made and how they differ from later frames.

I am sure once they realized how much extra time & material they were spending riviting pieces like this instead of welding a single plate on, is when they changed the way they constructed these.

I had the frame original to my car and swapped it with the frame from vin 712, this is how I was able to compare all these little (and little known) differences between early/late frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The car with 14 miles has been stripped of quite a few parts and no longer has the original engine. This couldn't be a more perfect situation for DPI and one of their high end engine upgrades. Probably not so great for anyone else.

http://dmctalk.org/album.php?albumid...chmentid=65620

The other car with 1600 miles has some janky frame repairs...

Last edited by dn010; 02-18-2021 at 12:31 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Those pics alone is proof that "low mileage" just means a ton of work and money to make anywhere near roadworthy or reliable. I'll take my maintained "high mileage" D anytime over either one of those.

20210208_210851.jpg20210208_211344.jpg20200115_175302.jpg20200115_175020.jpg20200115_174955.jpg
    Last edited by Michael; 02-18-2021 at 12:36 PM.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Those aren't "janky frame repairs." That is how the early frames were made and how they differ from later frames.

I am sure once they realized how much extra time & material they were spending riviting pieces like this instead of welding a single plate on, is when they changed the way they constructed these.

I had the frame original to my car and swapped it with the frame from vin 712, this is how I was able to compare all these little (and little known) differences between early/late frames.
    I stand corrected, I had no idea the early frames were constructed like that. Is there a particular VIN cutoff when they changed to the later style frames, or was it a running change?

I'm also curious to know if the lower plates were dipped in epoxy separately and then installed, or if the parts were riveted together first and dipped with the rest of the frame. It looks like the center of each fastener is raw metal and starting to rust, or the epoxy has chipped off on the end of each one.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Not sure how many collectors would pay a premium to buy 2 cars even if they do have consecutive vin #'s. Besides, serious collectors would want the car to be as original and complete as possible especially if they are low mileage. That is if you believe they are really low mileage and really consecutive vins, I have my suspicions. They are unusual in that they have never been titled and registered. Not having the original motor doesn't mean anything as long as it is a Delorean PRV and is in running condition. Strange that with such low mileage it doesn't have it's original motor. Hard to accept this at face value, it seems a little too unusual. Anyone interested in buying these cars would have to do a lot of "homework" and a proper inspection. On it's face you seem to be buying 2 low mileage (if that is to be believed) project cars. It will be interesting to watch and see what they sell for. For a true collector to buy them, they will never be driven because when a collector buys a very low mileage car, they are paying a lot for the fact that they are low mileage. For some collectors low mileage means a lot.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I never quite understood the fascination with vin numbers....
    To me it’s interesting to see which VINs are still around. I suspect that’s what most “VIN counters” etc are really curious about. But you are correct: the VIN (especially on these cars which left the factory in whatever order they were finished) means very little. Heck, I spent many years working for a major auto manufacturer and their VINS didn’t always coincide with how they rolled out of the factory either.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Those pics alone is proof that "low mileage" just means a ton of work and money to make anywhere near roadworthy or reliable. I'll take my maintained "high mileage" D anytime over either one of those.

20210208_210851.jpg20210208_211344.jpg20200115_175302.jpg20200115_175020.jpg20200115_174955.jpg
    Exactly. They gotta be driven regularly! I'm blessed to live in a climate that allows daily driving a D.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast