FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High mileage Deloreans

High mileage Deloreans

So my car has over 90,000 miles on it. Not real high for a 40 year old car, but it might be for a Delorean. How about it? What are most of you guys seeing on yours? Who has the highest and how high? Should I expect trouble?

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

168,000....and counting...

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

There are some threads out there with some info about high-mileage Ds, including this one.
    Also this one.

Consider the age of the posts then add miles as you wish...and remember that angle drive issues mean some odometers under-report their mileage.

Thanks to our vendor community 90K isn't a worry. Losing an engine or tranny can be expensive. The stock PRV is strong as long as the cooling system stays solid.

Since the car is nearly 40 yrs old: if you're still running the original fuel lines on the K-Jet you might want to replace them, especially if the car shows signs of having been stored outdoors for a long time. Vendors sell full kits for this, complete with correct banjo fittings and new washers.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I don't think there's any question that the award for highest mileage is the tothefuture.org car (Oliver and Terry's). Last I heard Oliver mention I think they were somewhere in the vicinity of 900,000 miles on the car. I imagine they'd be closing in on a million if it weren't for the pandemic.

https://www.deloreantimemachine.com/mission

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I don't think there's any question that the award for highest mileage is the tothefuture.org car (Oliver and Terry's). Last I heard Oliver mention I think they were somewhere in the vicinity of 900,000 miles on the car. I imagine they'd be closing in on a million if it weren't for the pandemic.

I'm assuming that engine has been rebuilt/replaced, maybe more than once. My purpose for the thread was to see if the engine/tranny would last like a normal car. When I say normal, I mean approximately 150,000-300,000 with maintenance and luck. Yes, I've heard of people going 500,000 some cars, but I wouldn't say it was normal. I once had a Corvette that ran great at 335,000. I hated to sell it, but I just felt I was pushing my luck.

I have a Bronco with over 400,000 on it, but it's the second engine and third tranny.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    My purpose for the thread was to see if the engine/tranny would last like a normal car. When I say normal, I mean approximately 150,000-300,000 with maintenance and luck.
    With various fuel/air delivery systems and displacements the PRV was sold for >15 years in >900,000 cars worldwide. It had a solid record. In its B28 configuration the engine is understressed.

Yes, it will go the distance with normal maint.

As for the transmission the 5 spd is pretty rugged. If a PO abused yours with speed shifts or crummy clutching or not tending to lip seal leaks then all bets are off, same as any other transmission.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post

Back in 2018 Oliver told me that there car was on there 3rd engine. He also said that there first engine didn't need replacement on further inspection after taking it apart. I can't remember what he said the problem was.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Who has the highest and how high?
    Here are the top 10 Highest Mileage VINs we know about (based on last owner submitted information).

hm.jpg

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Here are the top 10 Highest Mileage VINs we know about (based on last owner submitted information).

hm.jpg

Thanks for that. It's really cool.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

16506 is just over 233,000 miles. (need to update sig)

Original engine (manual)
    Clutch replaced at 180,000
    K-Jet is stock
    Fuel lines are still original (except pickup hose in tank)
    Injectors are original (cleaned 3 times)
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast