FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Owners manual, doors up driving?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I swear, I'm starting to think the OP is Shep, back from a long break possibly with another DeLorean after selling his rare, one a kind low VIN one, because he couldn't handle being away from the forums any longer. Next will be some new Raccin development that everyone must have and no one will buy.

Seriously though, when you get your tank varnish cleaned up, your rear shocks & links repaired and your TABs sorted, please let us know how fast you find you can go with your doors open and whether aerodynamics close them for you.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I swear, I'm starting to think the OP is Shep.
    OP has not yet inquired about installation of train horns, so he is probably legit.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I swear, I'm starting to think the OP is Shep, back from a long break possibly with another DeLorean after selling his rare, one a kind low VIN one, because he couldn't handle being away from the forums any longer. Next will be some new Raccin development that everyone must have and no one will buy.

Seriously though, when you get your tank varnish cleaned up, your rear shocks & links repaired and your TABs sorted, please let us know how fast you find you can go with your doors open and whether aerodynamics close them for you.
    post of the week LOL

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    post of the week LOL
    +1...with Mark's reply a close 2nd

Not shep, whoever that is. Not sure what your insinuating. Sounds like you don't appreciate me making a lot of threads/posts.

When I joined here, I noticed it is pretty dead. That's not a good thing. You want people starting threads and posting. The reason that forums die is lack of use. I don't do Facebook. It is a poor platform for tech. (Not to mention the nonsense about censorship) I want this forum to continue. It has solved a lot of my issues allready. I will help other people if I can.

As far as aero dynamics closing the doors, regular doors do this. It wouldn't be that hard to make the Delorean doors do this. The mirrors would produce a force to close the doors with speed. Probably not enough, or not at a low enough speed, but without testing, how would you know? I don't really want to test it. I would prefer the manufacturer to test and put it in the owners manual. If the said "above 35 mph is likely to damage the roof", I would limit driving to 20 to be safe. Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    They mention all kinds of safety hazards in the OM. (Like driving over 50 mph on the spare) I would assume they have determined it is not a safety hazard or they would mention it. Of course, that doesn't have anything to do with law. Not sure if it is against the law, though. There's all kinds of vehicals that are designed to run with the doors open. (UPS trucks, jeeps, etc) Ever seen that BMW with retractable doors?
    It’s not mentioned in the owners manual because it’s not designed for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I would prefer the manufacturer to test and put it in the owners manual. If the said "above 35 mph is likely to damage the roof", I would limit driving to 20 to be safe. Make sense?
    This car, like just about every car ever made, was not designed to be driven with the doors open. So no, your question does not make sense.

Think of it this way: the owners manual doesn’t say that you can drive with the doors open. That’s really all you need to know.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Last edited by Michael; 02-23-2021 at 12:59 AM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There is another problem with the doors being left open. I repaired a car where the owner damaged the driver's door. He backed the car out of his garage to wash it. After he was done the car wouldn't start so he pushed it back in. He left the door open and it hit the side of the garage door and tweaked it. During parades we never get close to anyone with the doors open because it could hit them as we pass by. If you are very careful and drive slowly and stay away from from people and buildings you can drive with the doors open. During the winter there is usually less activity on the forum and now with the Chinese virus there isn't all that much during the summer, no car shows or cruise nights in many parts of the country. Hopefully there will be more activity this summer now that people are getting vaccinations. In the meantime we can all get our cars ready!
    Last edited by David T; 02-23-2021 at 10:36 AM.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    This car, like just about every car ever made, was not designed to be driven with the doors open. So no, your question does not make sense.

Think of it this way: the owners manual doesnÂ’t say that you can drive with the doors open. ThatÂ’s really all you need to know.
    How do you know what the designers were thinking? There are lots of things designers must compromise on for government, shareholders, customers and so on. I'm confident the designers did design the doors to "not be damaged" at some speed. It would be foolish to not do that. It is common to have the doors open, while backing up, on cars that are hard to see out the back.

The owners manual doesn't say you can do lots of things (like drive with the windshield wipers on) Maybe that's all you need to know. I would like to know more.

Im courious why this is important to you. If I ask "how deep of water can you drive through"?, you might be of the opinion that it shouldn't be driven in puddles. That's fine. But why does the question bother you? Asking the question doesn't mean I'm planning To mud bog with the car. If you have a link to a thread where someone drove through 6" of water and had trouble or not, post it. But don't make up evidence like the manual doesn't authorize it. I am the only one who authorizes what I do with my car.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast