FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Owners manual, doors up driving?

My VIN:    03572

I think most of us that have been in a parade drive it with the doors open. So a paved road at 5 MPH is probably safe.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It's not the questions that get me, it's some of the answers. Although it does get tiring when a newbie first starts posting and thinks he is asking questions that were never asked before. Checking the FAQ's or doing a quick search will, in many cases, yield the answer to the question. Some of use don't remember when we were the ones asking the dumb questions I guess. Besides, all you can get on this forum is advice (AND IT"S FREE!!!!!). Each of us is free to take it or leave it and do whatever.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It's not the questions that get me, it's some of the answers. Although it does get tiring when a newbie first starts posting and thinks he is asking questions that were never asked before. Checking the FAQ's or doing a quick search will, in many cases, yield the answer to the question. Some of use don't remember when we were the ones asking the dumb questions I guess. Besides, all you can get on this forum is advice (AND IT"S FREE!!!!!). Each of us is free to take it or leave it and do whatever.
    Yea, I like to search, but sometimes the search doesn't come up unless you pic just the right words. Also, sometimes the search will result in 50 threads when one guy might know the answer right off. I'm on a hot rod forum that the search will result in a page of "net results". (Mostly ads) Then if you scroll to the second page, it has results from the forum. I asked why such a weird search and their reply. "Don't search, just ask". What a refreshing differnce.

My VIN:    6125

OOPS.

My VIN:    3014

From my personal experience, When opening the Door at low speed its easy to open and gas strut will do there job, more than 50km/h ,
    I just open with my hand and hold it untill its fully opened and let go is the best way to not damage the Door hinge .

Trivia : Often with door open driving, The flaps inside the Air vents are sometime out of position or even just brake off, and fall off when I braking the car ,and it just fly out the hole infront of the car .

無題.jpg

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Another point not mentioned, with the doors open you don't have the outside rear view mirrors. Seeing to the rear is bad enough already, losing the use of the rear view mirrors makes it a lot worse. There are pictures from the factory, when they moved the cars they always did it with the doors open.
    David Teitelbaum

My frame has two coats of wax Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    I respect my vin enough not to whore it out among the masses.

I can't believe how ridiculous this thread has become(whoever said there are no stupid questions didn't read the post 1 of this thread)) not to mention some of you are taking this a bit too seriously.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-25-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Another point not mentioned, with the doors open you don't have the outside rear view mirrors. Seeing to the rear is bad enough already, losing the use of the rear view mirrors makes it a lot worse. There are pictures from the factory, when they moved the cars they always did it with the doors open.
    I've heard that opening the door is standard procedure on Lamborghinis when backing up. I think they have less visibility then our cars. I haven't backed mine except off a trailer. I had the doors open, but only because I'm not use to useing the mirrors on this car. While I can back my truck through an obstacle course by mirror, I always open the door when backing a trailer. Just something about a trailer I can't get right by mirror.

Of course, that has nothing to do with driving forward without mirrors. I depend on my side mirrors a lot when driving, but I find most people around me don't use them. (Or signals) lol.

My VIN:    4665

And here I am thinking this thread had ended...

I wanted to share that driving the car home for the first time in a 5 hour drive from Indiana to Michigan, the AC gave out on what was a hot August day. It was so hot in the cabin, that our iPhones reached their temperature threshold and shut down for safety.

Never gave a single thought to drive with the doors open and glad I didn't from what I learned here.

Regardless, it was the best trip ever!!!

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (ADOA)

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    And here I am thinking this thread had ended...

I wanted to share that driving the car home for the first time in a 5 hour drive from Indiana to Michigan, the AC gave out on what was a hot August day. It was so hot in the cabin, that our iPhones reached their temperature threshold and shut down for safety.

Never gave a single thought to drive with the doors open and glad I didn't from what I learned here.

Regardless, it was the best trip ever!!!
    Ive been in a similar situation. It is absolutely terrible. I remember having to stop for a long train. The car was perpendicular to the way a breeze was blowing, so we opened the doors and had a nice cross-breeze to cool off.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    LS Swap Parts:
    http://lsdelorean.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast