FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Owners manual, doors up driving?

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    There is another problem with the doors being left open. I repaired a car where the owner damaged the driver's door. He backed the car out of his garage to wash it. After he was done the car wouldn't start so he pushed it back in. He left the door open and it hit the side of the garage door and tweaked it. During parades we never get close to anyone with the doors open because it could hit them as we pass by. If you are very careful and drive slowly and stay away from from people and buildings you can drive with the doors open. During the winter there is usually less activity on the forum and now with the Chinese virus there isn't all that much during the summer, no car shows or cruise nights in many parts of the country. Hopefully there will be more activity this summer now that people are getting vaccinations. In the meantime we can all get our cars ready!
    These are valid arguments. It's funny everybody seems to think I'm planning a cross-country trip with doors open. I'm thinking in more of an emergency situation. Like the AC quits 10 miles from home. It would be nice if someone said "I held the door half way up and drove 20 mph for five miles once, no problems" Some people did state things like that. (Although getting a dui at 90 is not really practical, lol)

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I have three wheels installed on my car, and the forth has a wheel dolly under the rotor. Situated in the driver's seat (with the doors closed - I know, I'm sorry), I am holding a wire coat hanger in my left hand and have a tennis shoe placed over my right. Can I successfully make it from my driveway to the fifth nearest gas station?? - The owners manual doesn't seem to say anything about this.

"Common Sense." The manual doesn't tell you to not drink and drive, don't park on a beach near the water during low tide, don't push in the cigarette lighter and then hold it to your crotch, etc. The biggest hint to not drive your car with the door open, is that fancy dash light that warns you that your door is open (you can check the manual for this, it is there - page 5, fig 2). No, I don't think doors are designed to close on their own while driving down the road, I think common sense tells the driver & occupants to keep the doors closed and that the doors are really designed for side impacts on modern vehicles.

Short of conducting your own tests for your own "authorized" answer, you'll never get the answer you're looking for. If you weren't aware, you won't get anything from the "manufacturer" because the man behind the car is long gone and the factory long closed so sadly they can't test this for you. If this is important to you then I'd suggest contacting a vendor regarding this question.
    -----Dan B.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

FFS dude. Stop arguing. You wanted our opinions, you got them. If you don't like the answers, take the doors completely off and knock yourself out. Nobody really gives a flying F. if you drive doors up/down/off.

And to the guru...if you are driving close enough to people to hit them with your doors you are not in a parade, you are in a riot.

PS: Train horns in a passenger car are stupid.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-23-2021 at 11:48 AM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

And to the guru...if you are driving close enough to people to hit them with your doors you are not in a parade, you are in a riot.

This actually happened. We were tossing out candy during a parade and the kids would run up to the cars to get the candy. We had to stop handing out candy because of this. No one got hurt but the parade organizers saw the potential. When the door is open it is at the right height that unless you are watching it *could* hit you.

As for keeping the doors open if the A/C dies, I guess you could but again, you have the problem of hitting bumps and bouncing the doors and potentially hitting someone or something with the doors. You don't get a whole lot of air with the doors open but it would help. I once had to drive home from a local car show and the A/C died about 15 minutes from home. By the time we got home, my wife and I were both soaked from sweat, it gets HOT quick! Now she won't go anywhere in the Delorean unless the A/C is working perfectly! Women tend to wilt a lot easier than guys. Their makeup doesn't take heat well! And with the doors open it messes up their hair.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

When my AC dies in my DeLorean, I tend to pop out my windshield and sport some good ol' ridin' goggles. The rear louvers can support the weight of the windshield to make the trek home but you have to be sure to place it curved side up.

The UPS guys driving without their doors even wave.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    FFS dude. Stop arguing. You wanted our opinions, you got them.
    Actually, I didn't ask for opinions, I asked for facts. But I'm happy to have opinions, just don't state them as facts. I'm not arguing, I'm discussing. If the discussion is too hot for you, don't read. I really thought a Delorean forum would be mostly older adults. (I'm retired) Guys getting upset over this makes you sound like a bunch of Facebook teenagers.

Let me say right now, I'm sorry for ever considering opening the doors. Maybe we could install kill switches if the door gets unlatched. Or maybe we could weld them shut. Better safe than sorry.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    When my AC dies in my DeLorean, I tend to pop out my windshield and sport some good ol' ridin' goggles. The rear louvers can support the weight of the windshield to make the trek home but you have to be sure to place it curved side up.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Actually, I didn't ask for opinions, I asked for facts. But I'm happy to have opinions, just don't state them as facts. I'm not arguing, I'm discussing. If the discussion is too hot for you, don't read. I really thought a Delorean forum would be mostly older adults. (I'm retired) Guys getting upset over this makes you sound like a bunch of Facebook teenagers.

Let me say right now, I'm sorry for ever considering opening the doors. Maybe we could install kill switches if the door gets unlatched. Or maybe we could weld them shut. Better safe than sorry.
    One could argue you are the one being the "facebook teenager" here. There are no facts here its a discussion with opinions. Clearly yours conflict with others and you are taking offence to that. You are the one who originally asked the question, but you dont seem to like anyone's answer.
    You have made very few posts and already seem to have already established yourself as a nuisance to the forum.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    [I]
    This actually happened. We were tossing out candy during a parade and the kids would run up to the cars to get the candy. We had to stop handing out candy because of this. No one got hurt but the parade organizers saw the potential. When the door is open it is at the right height that unless you are watching it *could* hit you.
    Must be some damn tall "kids" up in Jersey, and some damn relaxed parade organizers and parents to allow "kids" to run to cars moving in a parade.

Here is a pic of normal sized kids for reference. Let's not even get into the fact that a door edge is only about 10" away from the car's normal width when opened.... In short (get it?) If a kid is close enough to a moving car to get clotheslined by a door, he is too close to the car period door up or down.
    011b93ae0b1517c6f65afce26a23d788.jpg
    Last edited by Michael; 02-23-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    One could argue you are the one being the "facebook teenager" here. There are no facts here its a discussion with opinions. Clearly yours conflict with others and you are taking offence to that. You are the one who originally asked the question, but you dont seem to like anyone's answer.
    You have made very few posts and already seem to have already established yourself as a nuisance to the forum.
    It's a fact that the owners manual does not warn of driving with doors open. I'm going to take it as fact that some owners have hit garage doors damaging their car. I'm going to take it as fact that someone has been hit by an open door. (Although you have to drive pretty close to do that) I'm not taking offense to any of those answers. I do take offense to people that suggest I'm crazy to ask such a question. I don't know if "offense" is the right word. Let's say I find it humorous that someone thinks I will bow down to their nonsense.

It's kind of like someone saying ware a mask. Just because there's no evidence that masks make a differnce doesn't matter. Ware it and don't ask questions.

Some might say that you have committed blasphemy by swapping a differnt engine in a classic. (Not me) Should the community brand you a nuisance?

This is a forum. Ask questions. If someone asks a question you don't like, dont respond. I'm not saying don't make joke at my expense. If it's any good, I can laugh too. But laying down the law concerning MY CAR is not going to work on me.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast